Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I think a broken may still be in my - what should

I think a broken condom may still be in my vagina - what should I do next - is it a health risk? I am not concerned by pregnancy risk.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Actually what I suggest is putting your finger - either the pointer or the middle finger, then sweep across and up and down and IF the condom is there - then you should be able to get the condom out.

Dr Owen :

Then IF you think the condom is still there - then ANY doctor that does female exams can place a 'speculum' in the vagina to Look - and if the condom is there - then the condom is easily removed.

Dr Owen :

Usually IF you have had a condom stuck in your body - you will have an odor after a couple of days - such as a very rancid odor -

Customer: my husband tried that initially - and could not find anything - but about one third of the condom was missing- it was a fine condom so I do not know if I could have passed it out without realising.
Dr Owen :

You could have pushed it out.

Dr Owen :

But as long as you are not have pain, a rancid odor or a fever - this is not an emergency -

Dr Owen :

More than likely the condom is out of you.

Customer: so if I have no odour / pain or fever I should not worry
Dr Owen :

Many times when I do exams on when who say they lost a condom in their vagina - I almost never find one because they ususally fall out themselves.

Dr Owen :

ANd yes, that is correct - no odor, pain, or fever you should not worry - and to help 'calm' your nerves - make a routine appointment to get this looked at in person.

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Customer: I was trying to avoid the routine appointment as I am on the Uk so this will mean taking time off work and it is difficult to get an appointment is it Ok to leave it unless I get the symptoms you have mentioned
Dr Owen :

yes it is - as they are not harmful - as this is like having a Nuvaring in your vagina - and it is not dangerous

Customer: Thanks very much
Dr Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr Owen :

please don't forget to click on Excellent before you leave

Dr Owen :

thank you