Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hello again, I have been trying to conceive since my miscarriage

Hello again,
I have been trying to conceive since my miscarriage on 19th February. I had a normal 5 day cycle on the 22nd March. Been using ovulation sticks since then and found was ovulating 5th April. Have had intercourse numerous times and now experiencing white milky discharge once urinated. Could I be pregnant again? Suffering from headaches on and off too.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Customer: Hello again dr Owen
Dr Owen :

You could be pregnant - but with ovulation around the 5th of April - then testing for a pregnancy you can do as early as the 15th of April, but more than likely an accurate test will not occur until about the 19th or later if you are in fact pregnant

Customer: I thought so, not experiencing any breast tenderness just some nausea on the odd occasion and headaches.
Dr Owen :

Yes and it is possible - now it really is a matter of waiting

Dr Owen :

and I know it is hard to wait

Customer: is it true that having a miscarriage can make you more fertile afterwards?
Dr Owen :

yes - I see that fairly frequently

Customer: the milky discharge is odourless and only occurs after urination on wiping. This is different for me as don't usually experience this
Dr Owen :

that is okay - that is normal - and could be a sign that you ovulated - remember the ovulation sticks show the LH surge and ovulation occurs about 24 hours later and hence you can show signs of that even days later

Customer: I've read a lot of information on other sites and some say you can test 7-10 days after ovulation
Dr Owen :

so this is nothing to worry about

Dr Owen :

Impossible to test earlier than 9 to 10 days after ovulation - I know what those sites say - but that is very inaccurate and very misleading

Customer: so if I had a positive surge on that day and had intercourse is it hopefully likely I could fall pregnant
Dr Owen :

so hence I would wait till the 15th of April

Dr Owen :

You could -

Customer: ok that's fair advice to wait until the 15th. If I'm not experiencing pregnancy symptoms as strong is this a bad sign?
Dr Owen :

not a bad sign - try not to read too much into any symptoms or signs - I know many women who are trying to conceive are very sensitive to everything - so please try to relax

Customer: is it true you only ovulate for 12-24 hrs and that's it until the next cycle?
Dr Owen :

you only ovulate ONCE -

Dr Owen :

you ovulate at a POINT in time

Dr Owen :

and the LH surge just indicates that the cascade effect has started

Customer: your very wise to say that, it's just odd because I think when you want children so badly it becomes an obsession to try conceive but I know it will not happen unless you relax
Dr Owen :

i've been an ob/gyn for over 20 years - I've seen it all

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

and hope you have a positive pregnancy test

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you today

Dr Owen :

Customer: i will worry with the second pregnancy as I have had such a bad experience with the first being a miscarriage and don't want this to happen again
Dr Owen :

I understand

Dr Owen :

have a good evening

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer: thank you again for answering my questions
Dr Owen :

you are welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent

Dr Owen :

That is how justanswer credits us

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn