Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I had a stillborn baby at 31 weeks in February 2010 the cause

I had a stillborn baby at 31 weeks in February 2010 the cause was placenta insufficiency and severe iugr. Im trying again since january of this year, but not pregnant yet. I am getting a positive ovulation test. This month I have been checking my basal temperature daily. This month my temperature went up showing ovulation, but has dropped from 37.09c to 36.13c in the last week. I had unprotected sex before, during and after ovulation

I have mild hyperthyroidism which is under control with 50mgs ptu a day. I have chronically low white blood count and neutrophils and enlarged red blood cells.

I have a healthy 5 year old little boy, and haven't had problems getting pregnant before.
I am 37 and a normal healthy weight
should I see my doctor
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

What is your current TSH level for your thyroid?

Customer:

It was 16 last month and my endocrine dr had me on 50mgs ptu twice a day down to 25mg twice a day. My thyroid was tested in feb13 after the baby died and my thyroid tested normal. August 13 I was tested again and it was 48

Dr Owen :

but what is your TSH level - because what is important is that the NEW TSH guidelines are 0.5 to 2.5 (the old was 0.5 to 4.5) - so that could make a difference.

Dr Owen :

Low white counts, if less than 2.5 for the WBC - that should be looked at for such things as lymphoma and leukemia - Unlikely you have it and your blood tests are NORMAL for you - but a Hematologist SHOULD at least look at a Blood smear under a Microscope

Dr Owen :

And, then if you have not had your Tubes looked at to see if they are still open - a HSG - Hysterosalpingogram should be done

Customer:

Its at 0.1 which hasnt changed throughout. I get to see my hematologist yearly because through a bone marrow biopsy, the doctor's found out I have 2 separate dna, 15% more fetal blood than I should have and trisomy 8 mosaicism. Nothing they think should have caused problems with the baby who was genetically tested and fine, just me and I knew nothing about this until last year.

Dr Owen :

0.1 for TSH - that is NOT a good number for your thyroid - it needs to be between 0.5 and 2.5

Customer:

Sorry just checked my letter of my bloods from dec 2013

Dr Owen :

ok

Customer:

Tsh <0 .01> neutrophil 0.7 wbc 2.6 platelets 148 mcv 103.0

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

TSH is TOO low

Dr Owen :

that is a concern and needs to be reevaluated

Dr Owen :

the TSH needs to be between 0.5 and 2.5

Customer:

My endocrine dr at my hospital hasn't mentioned that this could be a problem, its the t4 which she was looking at and more concerned with

Dr Owen :

I understand

Dr Owen :

but what is important in pregnancy is the TSH - because this is coming from the pituitary gland - and hence the pituitary gland also controls ovulation, and estrogen levels etc that are produced from the ovary - so TSH is very important

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you there

Customer:

Just after my period I started to get a mild fever, chills, swollen painful joints, sweating and just feeling rough. My raynards became worse and had a bit of a red rash over my nose and cheek bones. It lasted a few days then went. I've had this over 10 years and it flares upevery so often, especially around my period and ovulation. I dont know what it is and drsdont either. Could this be affecting my fertility. I was tested for lupus in feb 13 but didnt have any flare ups around that time

Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

yes this could affect your fertility - plus you have have an autoimmune problem since you have TWO autoimmune problems already - your thyroid and Reynaud's - so these are problems that need to be looked at more closely, especially by an ob/gyn - as that is who can treat you - you might need Heparin and Asprin to get pregnant and stay pregnant - and please get that thyroid back to a TSH level between 0.5 and 2.5 - that is what you should really concentrate on.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :