Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

Hi Last night I inserted a sharp object in to my vagina...

Customer Question

Last night I inserted a sharp object in to my vagina... As a form of self harm but it didn't seem to hurt too much. However when I pulled said object out it had very bright red blood on it. It seemed to be quite a lot! So I put a pad on and went to bed and thought nothing more of it. Thought I had cut myself inside or something. I am a virgin but I have had a smear before and a internal ultra sound so I would have thought my hymen was broken already? Plus the sharp thing was very slim but I did make it wider inside me.
I am bleeding again this afternoon. Thing is I am confused is it my period or have I cut myself? I only finished my period 10 days ago but I have stopped pills. I was in norethisterone for three weeks then stopped a week then back on etc for a good few months. Then I had a month of the mini pill but it didn't suit me so I stopped. After a few days I bled bled like a normal period but now ten days after I have started again and I don't know if it is me that has hurt myself or if it's a period.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Let me read your question

Dr Owen :

hi

Customer : Hi
Dr Owen :

you no longer have a hymen if you have been having periods

Dr Owen :

so when you place something in your vagina like this you can lacerate (cut) the skin of the vagina.

Dr Owen :

This will HEAL on its own - so you really do not need to worry

Dr Owen :

But if you are having a LOT of bleeding you might need to get sutures - but more than likely this will heal just fine on its own

Customer : Is it likely to be my period or a laceration
Dr Owen :

If your period is due now - then your period

Dr Owen :

If not your period -then a laceration

Customer : Did you get to read the bottom of my question?
Dr Owen :

yes

Dr Owen :

I just responded to it

Customer : Well I am not due however I have just come off medication so is it possible I could have a period after ten days?
Dr Owen :

you could

Dr Owen :

but again you put something in your vagina that should not have been there - so you could have lacerated yourself

Dr Owen :

but HERE is the thing to know....

Dr Owen :

As long as you are NOT soaking a pad every 2 hours - you should be fine and your vagina will heal just fine

Dr Owen :

and please do not put anything in your vagina that is not meant to be there - honestly

Customer : I know I know I just wanted to hurt
Dr Owen :

okay - I'm just an ob/gyn

Dr Owen :

as for the bleeding that is what I am sticking too

Dr Owen :

so either a period or a laceration this should improve on its own

Customer : I know I didn't ask for anything else.
Customer : I was just defending myself
Dr Owen :

okay - you really don't need to justify that to me - I just wanted to make sure that you are okay and what you can expect from the bleeding

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you today

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Are you Suicidal?

Dr Owen :

I need to know that!!!

Dr Owen :

Hello - I was just looking back ar your questions - you stop paying for your questions this year -

Dr Owen :

I will suggest to justanswer to close your account

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

have a good day

Dr Owen :

Bye

Dr Owen :

.