Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hey, T had my cycle 4 weeks ago, and I havent stopped bleeding.

Customer Question

Hey,

T had my cycle 4 weeks ago, and I haven't stopped bleeding. Now I've never had a regular cycle and I'm 21, but I don't think this is normal.... Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Thank you!!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

You say that you have never had a regular cycle. What are your cycles generally like?
Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Dr. Norm.

Sometimes I go for months without anything, then I'll have a two week period then nothing again. Other times, I'll have a week across the full moon normally, for a couple of months in a row.

Never taken birth control.

Your cycles suggest that you go for long periods without ovulating (since ovulation is what brings on a period in 2 weeks). When this happens, the uterine lining can build up too much, and the result may be prolonged bleeding such as you're having.

Since you've been bleeding for 4 weeks, I recommend that you see your doctor. Some progesterone pills (the hormone normally released by the ovaries after ovulation, which controls periods) will help resolve the built up uterine lining and stop the bleeding.

When you wish to become pregnant, you might need some help, using pills. This is generally not difficult. Sometimes we can find a reason why women don't ovulate regularly, but often it's just the way you're made.

It's best to get treatment for this, since over time the built up uterine lining can develop changes that may lead to cancer. Taking progesterone pills every few months if there is no period will help to prevent this.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the generous bonus!