How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Owen Your Own Question
Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Owen is online now

I had a serious dog bite (24 stitches and 4 days in hospital

Resolved Question:

I had a serious dog bite (24 stitches and 4 days in hospital to clean and flush the wound) 3 years ago and since then I have bad pain spasms in the scar tissue in my upper arm 3 or 4 times a day nearly every day. I have been prescribed Gabapentin and Oramorph on demand. I seem to be stuck in a rut with no significant improvement in recent months. I am at the end of my tether, unable to drive due to the medication. Is there any other medication I can ask my GP about as I am getting nowhere at the moment. Please help.
Melissa (UK)
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
What other medications are you taking now?

Has the wound healed?

What have you tried to help the pain besides medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am only taking Gabapentin and Oromorph on demand. The wound healed a long time ago. Progress has ground to a halt. Any ideas on other treatment you can recommend?

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Two medications I would use are Ultram (also known as tramadol), plus also Lyrica (similar to gabapentin - but the next generation). Plus I would suggest getting OFF the oromorph - staying on a narcotic actually can worsen problems with pain - so I would get of the oromorph.

Next - as for physical therapy - I see you have done some - but doing physical therapy as if you were an Athlete - - so doing 'Dynamic' PHysical Therapy is what is needed - and this will hurt initially when doing it - but it is what is needed.

I would also suggest getting an EMG - to map out the nerve and where the root of the pain is originating from - that is what you should do - as you might just have a problem with an Impingement of the nerves and hence solving that might be all you need to have done -

I wish you well
Please click on Excellent for helping
thank you
Dr Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you