Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I am 12.5 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I had a gush of watery

I am 12.5 weeks pregnant. Yesterday I had a gush of watery red blood that smelt like semen! I was worried this was my waters breaking. I went for a scan and they said baby was fine and amniotic fluid levels looked fine. But they found I had a 7cm haematoma that they think was bleeding. I had a heavy bleed while i was at the hospital and they didn't seem concerned and said I would likely have another and to only come back if I soaked 3 pads an hour. When I got home I had another gush of watery fluid that again smelt like semen and another bleed. Since then the bleeding has tailed off and is no longer bright red but darker and is only there when I wipe. I'm terrified the second gush of fluid at home was my membranes rupturing but they won't scan me again until Tuesday. What else could the watery fluid be? I look forward to your response.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Let me read your question - give me a few minutes

Dr Owen :

Well unlikely this is coming from the membranes nor is this amniotic fluid – it just does not sound like this.

This is MOST likely coming from your bladder – as that is the most likely situation and very common to see.

The other possibility is that your vagina from the sets of glands that are in the vagina is producing a lot of discharge –

But from what you have said and also at 14 weeks – this is not going to be from the uterus – so I do not believe you need to worry especially since the ultrasound was normal

I hope this helps

Please if you have more questions, please ask

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you (please do not click on poor or bad – that just hurts me)

Customer: I am only 12.5 weeks. Why would my urine smell like sperm tho?! I was having problems urinating and I kept feeling like I needed a wee but then couldn't go. It was also painful when I urinated. The bleeding didn't happen until after my ultrasound and I'm worried tht the heavy bleed I had ruptured my membranes? If that was the case would I have heavier bleeding now?
Dr Owen :

Well you are not going to have ruptured membranes at this point.

Dr Owen :

More than likely this is from your bladder which is EASY to treat and hence you could have an Urinary tract infection

Dr Owen :

I actually see this a LOT - so many woman are worried they are leaking fluid - but when an ultrasound confirms you are not just like you had done - then you do NOT need to worry about the amniotic fluid - so you do NOT need to worry at all about this.

Dr Owen :

but do check the bladder and also the vagina

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

Customer: I'm sorry to go on but what could cause the semen smell? That is what is worrying me the most as I have had a baby before and it smelt similar when my waters broke??
Dr Owen :

when there is an odor - such as a semen smell this is due to an increase in the pH such as a Bacterial vaginosis which could be the vaginal discharge -

Dr Owen :

This is VERY common so this is why I am insistent that you should get BOTH an Urinanalysis, bladder check and check for the glands of the vagina doing this to you

Customer: So you definitely don't think it sounds like my membranes rupturing?
Dr Owen :

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Dr Owen :

that is NOT going to happen at 12 weeks - it just does not - especially since you had a normal ultrasound

Dr Owen :

I hope this helps

Customer: Would you even feel your waters go at this early stage?
Dr Owen :

You have had a NORMAL ultrasound with fluid and the baby moving – honestly from everything you have said – this is not due to your amniotic fluid.

And IF you had fluid – this would be a continuation and it does not really have an odor.

I hope this helps

Customer: Would I have started to miscarry by now if it was my waters?
Dr Owen :

You have had a NORMAL ultrasound with fluid and the baby moving – honestly from everything you have said – this is not due to your amniotic fluid. I had to say that again - ….

IF you were having a miscarriage – there would be a LOT of blood AND I will say this again too – YOU HAD A NORMAL ultrasound – so PLEASE stop worrying and DO exactly what I have suggested

I hope this helps

Customer: But the big bleed happened after my ultrasound took place, so although it looked fine could the big bleed have caused me to start miscarrying?
Dr Owen :

THEN if you are still concerned so you do NOT worry any more – get another ultrasound – as the Ultrasound might have cause the bleeding by irritating the cervix – and that is VERY normal too – but NOT likely due to a miscarriage or loss of fluid.

I wish you well

Please click on EXCELLENT as the time has expired – if you want me to answer additional questions – I will do so thank you

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn