Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi there, I have been on yasmin (pill) since 2012 having

Customer Question

Hi there,

I have been on yasmin (pill) since 2012 having never taken the pill before. I was diagnosed with having an ovarian cyst at the time having complained of very painful periods and bleeding in between periods my whole life.

Yasmin has been excellent but for the past three months I have experienced bleeding a week before my period.

I had another ultra sound and my cyst has grown bigger (before was 5cm ). I feel bloated all the time (even before pill) and find it difficult to pee.

I have never been sexualy active so didnt want a transvaginal ultrasound........so my doctor instead told to go on cilest which I am reluctant to use since have read negative reviews.

From my brief history do you think yasmin is causing the bleeding? should I take new pill?

Any advice on what other steps I can take instead? Should I push for the cyst to be removed?

THANKS
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

How big is the cyst now?

Dr Owen :

How old are you ?

Dr Owen :

Do you have a period every month?

Customer:

I'm 29 years old......my doctor didnt tell me how big the cyst is now but before was 5-6 cm

Customer:

yes i have very regular periods with the pill

Dr Owen :

IF the cyst IS really bigger - then the next step is to either wait another 6 weeks OR to schedule surgery to remove the cyst (leave the ovary)

Customer:

how big should the cyst be before considering removing it?

Dr Owen :

ONce the cyst is Persistant AND it is greater than 5cm - it is time to remove it

Customer:

i think i have had the cyst since my teenage years as i have had bleeding in between periods since then so its def persistant

Customer:

so do you think yasmin has been causing my bleeding? can the pill do that 15 months after someone takes it?

Dr Owen :

You should NOT have had the cyst that long - BUT if you have had it that long - IT DEFINITELY needs to be removed - it is time

Dr Owen :

Yasmin is NOT usually the problem

Dr Owen :

You have a persistant and large cyst - it needs to be removed - and that way you can get back to Normal life

Customer:

would you recommend I take the new pill (cilest) to see if the bleeding continues?

Dr Owen :

A new pill will NOT make a difference at this point

Customer:

apologies for repeating myself but i was told by the doctor that since I am not bleeding in between my period but about 5-7 days before my period..........its probably the pill?

Customer:

what is your opinion?

Dr Owen :

No, not the pill

Dr Owen :

I really think that with a persistant cyst, and pain, this is time to go in laparoscopically to remove the cyst

Dr Owen :

YOU will feel a LOT better you really will

Customer:

ok so forget taking a new pill and simply have the cyst removed?

Customer:

and stick to yasmin?

Dr Owen :

Yes, - stick with the Yasmin –

And, then I would really suggest getting the cyst removed – this will definitely make your quality of life better

I hope this helps

Please if you have more questions, please ask

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you (please do not click on poor or bad – that just hurts me)

Customer:

thanks for all your help