Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

2 to 3 days before my starts I have pain on my right

2 to 3 days before my period starts I have pain on my right side near my hip bone and along the front of my pelvic bone, this is quite intense and I feel pain in my buttocks and thights too. it lasts througout my period and for 3 to 4 days after I finish, my periods are light to medium sometime with alot of small clots, this has been going on since november 2013 since I came off cerazette may 2013. My periods have settled into a 23 day cycle, i have been prescribed 30mg of codine sulphate to take, ultrasound external and internal has shown only a small 2x2x1.7cm fibroid in the front of my uterus. I do not want the marina coil as I am trying to get pregnant. I had a termination at 36yrs old, just the tablets, which didnt work and ended up going in for a D&C, 4 months after that I was admitted through A&E with intense pain given hormone tablets and pin killers to take and sent home, I gave up taking the pills as they were making me feel sick and 1 week later I passed a large hard mass (the size of a small grapefruit)
I am not getting to the stage where this pain every 3 weeks is affecting my mental health as I feel I cant go on. I feel bloated down below and heavy and need to urinate frequently. I am 39yrs old, 5ft 6in and weigh 12 stone (the heaviest I've ever been) I only consume 1000 calories a day in an attempt to get my weight down but its not working. Please help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

reading your question - it is a bit long...

Customer:

Customer:

sorry, i thought the more detail the better

Dr Owen :

How often do you have a period?

Dr Owen :

oh I see - every 23 days....

Customer:

yes

Dr Owen :

Well I think what you are suffering through is a combination of PCOS _ Polycystic ovarian syndrome, plus endometriosis and a possibility of a thyroid condition.

Dr Owen :

So since you have a period every 23 day - this is a bit too frequent for you to be ovulating effectively

Customer:

ok so should I be insisting on a blood test at least?

Dr Owen :

Yes ,

Dr Owen :

Here is what I suggest

Dr Owen :

1. Blood test for thyroid - TSH

Dr Owen :

2. Blood test for PCOS _ testosterone, Estradiol, DHEA-S, and Insulin levels

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX own GP doesnt agree, can I go private?

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT - and tell your GP that you spoke to a real ob/gyn - I do this stuff all the time

Dr Owen :

have a good day

Dr Owen :

We appreciate positive ratings for helping you - that is how justanswer credits us

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

thank you