Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi, I have quick question regarding a painful bump/sore

Customer Question

I have quick question regarding a painful bump/sore on my bikini line area. I recently had about 3 ingrown hairs in this one "bump" and I tweezed them all out but the bump persisted (no itch), and so I tried to pop it and see if there were more in there and it opened, and I dug around a little more.

Now, about 24 hours later, the sore has not closed. It is slightly painful (I took a shower and washed it with salicylic acid body wash to try to exfoliate the area further), but not itchy or anything. There is slight redness in the surrounding area as well that looks a bit patchy, so I'm concerned that it might be more than an ingrown hair.

I have been tested for all STDs/STIs, all negative (including herpes IgG), but could this be a sign of something more recent? (Tests were done last week.)

Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Do you shave in this area?

Customer:

Yes, I have recently switched from waxing to shaving and have been getting more frequent ingrown hairs

Customer:

My main concern is that the lesion could be herpetic

Dr Owen :

This sounds like a very minor problem – and sounds like a Staph bacteria infection – and what you can do is just apply Warm compresses and then use antibacterial soap when showering and then you can apply anti-bacteria cream such as Neosporin or Polysporin and this is available over the counter –

You just need to give this time and it will heal just fine – it will take about 2 weeks or so to totally heal.

This is not a herpes infection based on all you have said.

I wish you well

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you (please do not click on poor or bad, this just hurts me)

Customer:

What about the surrounding redness? It looks suspicious or like it could develop into bumps

Customer:

if anything were to develop, do you know how long it would take? And I will apply the antibiotics as directed, thank you

Dr Owen :

That is Excactly why this is NOT herpes – hereps does not cause this – and why this is a bacteria infection – and very specifically a Staph infection –

Dr Owen :

Let's say I Have been practicing as an ob/gyn for over 20 years

Dr Owen :

and I must see this a few times per week, and more so as the summer months come along

Dr Owen :

this is so common to see

Dr Owen :

and honestly not a herpes infection in this area

Customer:

Okay, thank you very much! I have an appointment in a few days as well, I was just really starting to get worried so I wanted some peace of mind. The sore looked like something I saw on Google Images so it had me very concerned.

Dr Owen :

You do not need to worry

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you this evening

Customer:

thanks!

Dr Owen :

that is how justanswer credits me for helping you

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn