Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I have been for a follicle tracking scan, it showed however

Customer Question

I have been for a follicle tracking scan, it showed however that I had no follicles on my ovaries at all, what does this indicate?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen :

How are you follicle tracking?

Dr Owen :

Because the follicles slowly grow to a certain point from after your period ends to the time of ovulation when usually one of the follicles ruptures to release an egg

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : I had a follicle tracking scans, that looks at the follicles themselves but they weren't any
Dr Owen :

did you have just one scan?

Dr Owen :

where in your Cycle were you when you had the scan?

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : Yes
Dr Owen :

let's backtrack....

Dr Owen :

WHEN WAS your last period START Date?

Dr Owen :

When is your NEXT period suppose to start?

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : We don't know because I haven't had a period for months
Dr Owen :

What date did you have the scan?

Dr Owen :

oh...

Dr Owen :

what is your weight (in pounds or kilograms - please not stone)

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : I don't know because I don't have periods, what is weight meant to do with it
Dr Owen :

actually weight has a lot to do with this - because you might have a metabolic syndrome, you might have a thyroid disorder.....

Dr Owen :

you have to realize medicine boils down to very simple things....

Dr Owen :

Heck I'm just here to help....

Dr Owen :

so if you are embarrassed - please don't be - I'm ONLY trying to help

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : I've been tested for that and I dont
Dr Owen :

okay - let's get back to me helping you...

Dr Owen :

It really helps me to help you when I'm asking for information...

Dr Owen :

I know women tell me all the time they have been tested for this and that but in reality I find a Lot of errors and mistakes from other doctors.

Dr Owen :

so let's start from the beginning what is your height and weight?

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : 5 ft and 150kg
Dr Owen :

okay - that is the problem - let me Explain why -

Dr Owen :

You are not ovulating because you have built up a large amount of Estrogen - in the form of Estrone

Dr Owen :

This Estrone then gets converted to Testosterone which then Increases your insulin levels

Dr Owen :

Your blood glucose (sugar) is probably normal

Dr Owen :

and it is the Extra Insulin that is causing this thick capsule around the ovary where you can not form follicles to ovulate - the capsule is too thick

Dr Owen :

So therefore and I am being gut wrenching honest here - weight loss will allow you to get follicles, to have a period and then to get pregnant - I've been doing this for over 20 years and it works all the time.

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : I had my testosterone done and that came back fine
Dr Owen :

Please listen to what I am saying

Dr Owen :

This is a relative thing going on here

Dr Owen :

Your insulin level is elevated as the end result causing the thickness in the capsule -

Dr Owen :

Yes overweight women get pregnant all the time - but some overweight women like you just can not Metabolize everything in your body so you can ovulate properly -

Dr Owen :

so hence the way to deal with this is to decrease the Insulin resistance

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : But if I've been a hell of a lot heavier for years then why has it never happened before
Dr Owen :

I am quite sure doctors have told you that you need to lose weight - because 150kg at 5 ft is very unhealthy and actually trying to have a baby at that weight can be dangerous -

Dr Owen :

Please listen

Dr Owen :

I am telling you the truth here

Dr Owen :

I really am

Dr Owen :

I know women want to believe things in their past - they were heavier and still had a period

Dr Owen :

I know - I have heard it everyday in my ob/gyn career which has been over 20 years

Dr Owen :

I am not the bad guy here

Dr Owen :

I am trying to help you

Dr Owen :

I am telling you 100% the truth

Dr Owen :

so you can ignore the facts and allow the doctors you are seeing to go on - or you can listen to me, lose weight and take a certain medication that will help you

Dr Owen :

it really is up to you

Dr Owen :

You really have a single choice - weight loss plus getting taking a medication I can suggest to you

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : And what's the medication
Dr Owen :

this will get you back to a HEALTHY lifestyle, allow you to produce follicles, have a period and then get pregnant

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent and I would be happy to help you with additional quesitons

Dr Owen :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : What about ovarian reserve though
Dr Owen :

you can worry about ovarian reserve later - you need to concentrate on weight loss - that is what you need to do - I guarantee you that you will feel better and then have a period and get pregnant (if that is what you wish to do).

Dr Owen :

So ovarian reserve at this point is not something that is worrisome

Dr Owen :

Oh, the medication is called Metformin - and the dosage is 1500mg - but do not think this is a 'magic' medication - you need to eat HEALTHY, you need to exercise, and you need to drink a lot of water

Dr Owen :

THAT is exactly what you need to do

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENt for helping you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Have a great day/evening

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : i have just spent a considerable amount of time helping you
Dr Owen : please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : I EVEN GAVE YOU DIRECTIONS ON WHAT TO DO
Dr Owen : OH, I SEE YOU gave me a poor rating, I am sorry but honestly sometimes the truth needs to be said and weighing 350 lbs is really very unhealthy and you need to do something about that, and getting pregnant while you are over weight is not really appropriate while you are overweight
Dr Owen : have a good day
JACUSTOMER-fvnleg71- : Actually you have spent about 10 mins, I have explained to you that my further test results don't add up to what you indicate. And you have overlooked the matters for which I went for the scan in the first place. I have pregnant 4 times and carried a lot more weight. My periods have never stopped. I find your answer to be unacceptable
Dr Owen : Well I wish you the vest
Dr Owen : the best
Dr Owen : but you are very unhealthy and not having periods and being morbidly obese puts you at risk for early death from heart disease, atherosclerosclerosis, kidney diseaes, liver problems, and cancers, especially uterine cancer as I have had many of my own patients who did not take my advice end up dying in their early 30's
Dr Owen : good luck
Dr Owen : wish you the best and I did spend 30 minutes with you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Have you had a blood test for FSH done?
Did you only have one ultrasound scan, or have you had more? Thank you.