Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 40 and just had a second mis-miscarriage in a year and

Customer Question

I am 40 and just had a second mis-miscarriage in a year and a half. I had a normal pregnancy in 2010 and had a healthy baby boy in November 2010.

I am living in Ireland and have been told that they only do test after 3 miscarriages but I want some advise on what test I can ask for if I book a private appointment with a specialist.

I did some blood tests last year with my GP and they came back normal. I was told that the tests were to see if I could conceive and my egg reserve but not the quality of my eggs.

Since having my son I have had problems with my hip and have had been to a chiropractor. He said that my pelvis was out of line. Would this have any impact on being able to carry a baby to full term.

I also noticed with my last pregnancy that I had a white/greenish thick discharge but when I enquired with a doctor they told me that it is common to get thrush.

My husband is 50 so should he get his sperm quality checked. I was told that it is probably down to my eggs by a young doctor. But an older doctor told me that there is still hope and she has seen women in their 40's having a baby after miscarriages.

I am a bit confused at the moment so would like to know who I should ask for help and what tests should I get done.

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

I'm afraid there is no good test that will make any difference. Most likely you are a normal 40 year old woman. The fact is that the chance of miscarriage increases with age. At age 40, the chance of miscarriage with any pregnancy is about 40%. It's due to the fact that all your eggs are also 40 years old, as you were born with all the eggs you'll ever have.

So it's not really surprising that with a 40% chance of miscarriage each time, you've had 2 in a row. That also means that you have about a 60% chance with your next pregnancy to carry it successfully.

I realize that having a miscarriage is very difficult, and it's hard to face the fact that it may well happen again. Usually the risk is worth it. It sounds like you're able to become pregnant without too much trouble, so that's definitely in your favor.

Medical science so far has not found any way to decrease the risk of miscarriage that comes with age, other than by using donor eggs from a younger woman. That's possible to do, but requires IVF, is expensive, and then the baby is genetically like your husband, but doesn't carry your genes.

I wish you success with your next pregnancy.
Thank you for your payment and the generous bonus!