Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi! I am on the contraceptive pill and missed a breakthrough

Hi! I am on the contraceptive pill and missed a breakthrough bleed last week so decided to do a pregnancy test on the monday of this week. It came up very quickly as 1-2 weeks pregnant (clearblue digital) however when I have taken following tests I have recieved negative results - I am experiencing dull period like cramps, my nipples have turned purple and are extremely sensitive and I am often lightheaded at current. What is the possibility that I am pregnant? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Customer:

Hi - I'm pretty confused about what's going on- as put I've tested positive on a home pregnancy test (1-2 weeks) and also missed a contraceptive pill breakthrough bleed, but further tests have tested negative, what is the likelihood I am pregnant?

Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

Can you give me the dates of EACH of the tests along with the Name of each test?

Dr Owen :

Customer:

Yep sure - I missed the breakthrough bleed the week after easter weekend, I carried out the first test (clearblue digital) on Monday 5th, another test on Tuesday 6th (which was also clearblue digital) and a last one on Thursday 8th (which was a cheap strip test) I am concerned my urine has been too diluted - I am prone to kidney infections so drink a substantial amount of water daily (urine almost clear, even first urine of the day). For the last week I have been experiencing dull period like cramps and breast tenderness

Dr Owen :

Well I would check ONE more test - and stay away from the digital test - just use a regular test (but use a regular test from Clear Blue, EPT, or First Response (I like First response if you can get it) - and if the test is negative now (today) - then you are not pregnant - and what occurred is that you had an early miscarriage - which honestly IS EXTREMELY common - 50% of pregnancies end in miscarriage just like what you are experiencing and your symptoms if you did miscarry are due to a hormone called Progesterone.

Dr Owen :

So do one more test to check for pregnancy and if a GOOD test like I suggested is negative, then you are definitely Not pregnant.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Customer:

Okay thank you!

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :