Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Im 9wks pregnant and started spotting yesterday. I went to

I'm 9wks pregnant and started spotting yesterday. I went to bed straight away and am only getting up to go to the bathroom. I now have bleeding when I'm sitting on the toilet but nothing while I'm lying down. I still had pregnancy symptoms today, nausea this morning before breakfast and fatigue. I have had one successful pregnancy followed by two miscarriages and this is my fourth pregnancy. Can you offer some advice please?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well bleeding in the first trimester is very common and it could be due to many reasons....

Dr Owen :

1. This could be due to a low progesterone level

Dr Owen :

2. This could be due to an infection - even an UTI - urinary tract infection

Dr Owen :

3. This could also be possibly due to a miscarriage since you have had two of them

Dr Owen :

So, HERE is what I suggest

Dr Owen :

1. I would get an ultrasound - to see if you have a fetal heart and if you do - then I would suggest getting a progesterone level as you might need progesterone such as Prometrium to help

Dr Owen :

2. You should have your cervix checked for possible Incompetency of the cervix - you might need a stitch - a cerclage as it is called to hold the cervix together.

Dr Owen :

3. You should be checked for infections - as you might need an antibiotic.

Dr Owen :

4. Also have your thyroid checked too - as this could be a problem and easily treated.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

hi

Dr Owen :

I"m still here

Customer:

I'm on Crinone gel since I discovered the pregnancy as prescribed by my OB. In the area in Ireland where I live you cant get a scan on the weekends but I have one scheduled for Wednesday the 14th. Am I right to stay in bed till I get scan? Obvious;y if bleeding worsens I know a mis is inevitable.

Dr Owen :

Good, I'm glad you are on the Crinone - a progesterone - please make sure you are not skipping any doses.

Dr Owen :

and Yes, stay in bed and relax,

Dr Owen :

Make sure you are eating well, but also make sure you are still drinking PLENTY of fluid

Dr Owen :

I hope the bleeding does not worsen -

Dr Owen :

I am online at any time - as I get an email to my phone...

Dr Owen :

so if you have questions you can always ask

Customer:

Thanks so much. We're very lucky to have a perfect little boy (2yrs old) and I know I'm a little older now so more possibility of things not working out. Really appreciate you advice and kind wishes.