Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi, I am 11 weeks pregnant and currently incredibly anxious.

Hi, I am 11 weeks pregnant and currently incredibly anxious. When I was 8 weeks pregnant I went for a 2 week holiday to Cuba to get married. Our family was coming so we could not cancel or postpone. I asked the midwife and GP if there is anything I should know before going or any special precautions I should take but they just told me to enjoy myself! I did not drink any alcohol and avoided foods I was told previously to avoid like soft or fresh cheeses, and undercooked meets but otherwise enjoyed plenty of salads and did not suffer any good poisoning ( fingers crossed). What I'm really worried about is overheating! The temperature was 35-36 degrees and I'm a well known sun worshiper. Nobody advised me against sunbathing! Only when I came back and some of my friends saw how tanned I am and questioned why I was tanning pregnant I started researching the topic and found out I could have caused harm to my baby especially in the first trimester. One day I also had extremely hot urine, which makes me think that my core body temperature must have reached dangerous levels. I remember clearly thinking something was not right as it felt as I was passing hot tea. And as the bladder is so close to the uterus I can only imagine my baby in the boiling hot amniotic fluid. I spoke with my midwife who was not reassuring and didn't seem to know much about overheating at all. I am so terrified I caused brain damage or neural tube defects to my baby that I am actually considering abortion, which is so sad as we really love our baby already! I am very disappointed nobody from my prenatal care team advised me about the dangers of hot temperatures and sunbathing knowing well that I'm going up the Caribbean. I would not wish to cause the baby a lifetime if difficulties and would rather start again and be more careful as well as maybe not leave the country in the first trimester. I look forward to your reply.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well you can ABSOLUTELY relax -

Dr Owen :

Cuba and the temperatures there are NOT going to cause harm

Dr Owen :

I know you are from the UK - and you are use to cooler, much cooler temperatures -

Dr Owen :

and Honestly YOU and the baby are not going to overheat - - if you did over heat - honestly you would be unconscious - and I'm sure that was not the case.

Customer: I actually grew up in Nicaragua and cope very well with hot temperatures. Much worse with the coldx
Dr Owen :

Also, look at the Milliions of women who have babies in the Tropics - from haiti, to cuba, to puerto Rico, to the Virgin Islands - and Women have healthy babies there -

Dr Owen :

So honestly you do not need to worry

Dr Owen :

Having worked in Cuba (gitmo) for a year - we honestly did not see any problems with pregnant women -

Customer: My worry is that I was sunbathing- flat in the sun on my back so might have increased my core temperature maybe even just like in a sauna or hot tub
Dr Owen :

The human body is ONE AMAZING machine - it accommodates heat and cold

Dr Owen :

Sunbathing is Fine -

Dr Owen :

heck even Jet skiing in the hot sun, bouncing all over the place - that is fine too (I'm using that as an example as I was doing that with my daughter who happens to be pregnant and we're in Key west right now - and just as hot as cuba

Dr Owen :

so you really do not need to worry - I as an ob/gyn doctor would not put my daughter or her baby at risk either

Dr Owen :

so you and your baby will be fine

Customer: So what about the temperature of my urine that one day? I always thought that urine is supposed be of core body temperature and mine was boiling hot! It was an isolated occasion, I started drinking more and it got better but remember thinking it wasn't right at all and that maybe the amniotic fluid is at the same temperature
Dr Owen :

Your temperature of your urine Is never going to be above the core body temperature - and even if you FELT hot, as long as you were not sick - then you would Unlikely get an urine temerature above 100.4 (39 C)

Dr Owen :

and that would NOT hurt your baby -

Dr Owen :

your midwives, doctors, etc were ALL correct - Enjoy your time on vacation

Dr Owen :

there is nothing to worry about

Customer: If it's never going to be above my core temperature then my core temperature must have been high as it certainly wasn't of "regular" temperature. Still scared.
Dr Owen :

Honestly you do not need to worry

Dr Owen :

I take care of women ALL the time who are sick in pregnancy - and there is ZERO reasons to worry about the heat

Dr Owen :

Millions of women live in heat

Dr Owen :

Millions have babies in hot conditions

Dr Owen :

and These women do not cause their babies to have problems

Customer: So sunbathing the belly wouldn't increase the baby's temperature?
Dr Owen :

I know you have a Lot of anxiety over this - but honestly I've been doing this for OVER 20 years - I have worked in Haiti, Mexico, Cuba, Brazil - and Heat does NOT cause a problem - it does not

Dr Owen :

NO, it will not cause a problem

Customer: Since coming back I've only read advice that pregnant women should stay in the shade which is not what I've been doing
Dr Owen :

LIke I have said - I do NOT suggest shade to women when they are pregnant - there is no reason for that -

Dr Owen :

You can enjoy your life

Dr Owen :

YOu can have fun too -

Dr Owen :

your baby will Be fine and Unaffected by the sun and enjoyment you had

Dr Owen :

Let's just say - in the past 20 plus years, besides delivering babies in the US - my humanitarian work - I have delivered close to 500 babies in HOT, HUmid, Torturing conditions - and the Heat does not cause a problem

Customer: thank you for your reassurance. I feel a bit better. Hopefully I can relax now as I'm sure this anxiety is not going much good either.
Dr Owen :

PLEASE contact me at any time in your pregnancy

Dr Owen :

I have a vast amount of experience in Tropical Medicine as an Ob/Gyn

Dr Owen :

everything from Heat problems, Parasites, you name it -

Dr Owen :

one of the worst places I have been was when the Earthquake hit Haiti a few years back -

Dr Owen :

and delivered many babies - and honestly they did fine -

Dr Owen :

My phone will 'ding' when I get a response from Justanswer - so you can always contact me

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr Owen,I'm still very stressed about the overheating while sunbathing issue. I keep going over and over in my head of how much did my body temperature increase in the sun. You are the only Dr. Online who advised me it's not a problem, I had a second opinion who told me that sun rays deplete folic acid stores and increase core body temp which causes the baby brain to overheat and potential neurological problems.In your opinion how much does body temperature increase in the sun? I spent full long days in the sun. She also said that baby is in danger as there would be decreased blood flow to the uterus as my body tried to cool down. I can clearly see that happening as on a few occasions when coming back to the room my skin was boiling hot all over my body! Are there any tests that I can do to see if my babies brain suffered from this heat? I would be much calmer if all this happened during second trimester but can't forgive myself for putting my baby at risk in the first critical stage of development! Did you have patients who did overheat in their first trimester and then went on to have healthy normal children?