Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I just have a quick question. We are planning to start ttc

Customer Question

I just have a quick question. We are planning to start ttc this month. We have a holiday planned and there are jacuzzis which we would both like to go in. I have been hearing things in the press saying that if men go in a jacuzzi it will kill sperm and then it will take three months for sperm to be ok again. Is this true? My husband is fit and healthy, 31, and in very good shape, non smoker, doesn't drink. I said to him about the jacuzzi thing but he said it will spoil his holiday if i make him miss out.
If he does use the jacuzzi a)will all sperm die? b)will they die just for that time or will the sperm for the next three months be useless?
Is this the same for baths and should he just have showers from now on? I am doing everything possible to make myself healthy before hand, have been taking folic acid and vitamins for past 6 months etc so i don't want to be delayed for another 3 months because of a jacuzzi.
Many Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Heat can decrease the sperm count. It depends on the amount of time a man spends in a jacuzzi. However, the effect will be more on a man with a low or borderline sperm count.

And you're correct that it takes about 3 months for sperm to develop, so any effect would tend to last about 3 months.

That said, I doubt that the sperm count of the average man will be affected very much by short times in a jacuzzi (I don't think anyone has studied this enough to know exactly how much time has how much effect).

So if avoiding the jacuzzi will spoil the vacation for your husband, I doubt that it will be worthwhile for him to stay out of the jacuzzi, although limiting use some is a good idea.

Remember that it takes the average normal couple 4-5 months to get pregnant, so you're unlikely to be pregnant in the first 2-3 months of trying, whether or not he uses the jacuzzi. There is no evidence that I'm aware of that male jacuzzi use will cause birth defects if pregnancy does occur. Enjoy your vacation.
Thank you for your payment and rating.