Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Medically what are the health risk to my body if I was informed

Customer Question

Medically what are the health risk to my body if I was informed on the 15/5/14 admitted to hospital the same day but have since been discharged. That I have suffered an ectopic pregnancy but the Doctors decided not to operate but to observe me via blood testing ect. How will my body resolve this ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

The health risks to your body from an ectopic pregnancy that resolves on its own are pretty much the same as if it had been treated with surgery or medication, minus the possible side effects of the surgery or medication. In other words, assuming that the ectopic pregnancy resolves on its own, the placental tissue will dissolve and disappear, and you will no longer be pregnant.

Having had an ectopic pregnancy, you have some increased risk of another ectopic in any future pregnancy, which seems to be about a 20% risk. The same is true had the ectopic been treated.

Since your doctors have chosen to observe your ectopic, they apparently feel that it will resolve on its own. Usually we can't be completely certain of this, and there is always the possibility that the ectopic will start to bleed inside the abdomen, requiring surgery to stop the bleeding. Since they discharged you from the hospital, they must be fairly confident that this will not occur.

In other words, as long as the ectopic resolves itself without further treatment, you have less health risks than if you had surgical or medical treatment, which each carry their own risks and side effects.