Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Hi I had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago still no but the

Hi I had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago still no period but the last wk there is dark brown discharge is that normal or do I need to go for a check up
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Its normal to not have a period for six to eight weeks. After a natural miscarriage, your body will still have levels of hcg in the bloodstream for several weeks.

Dr. K. :

Depending on how long these levels stay in your blood, it may take as long as six to ten weeks to have a period. Six to eight is more normal.

Dr. K. :

If you have had unprotected sex, you could be pregnant again.

Dr. K. :

In very rare cases, the placental tissue grows abnormally and continues to make hcg hormone even after the miscarriage is over. This is called a molar pregnancy.

Dr. K. :

Your pregnancy test should be negative at this point. It would be wise to do a home test. If its negative, you are safe to wait for your period. If its positive, you should make an appointment as soon as possible

Dr. K. :

It is very likely that the brown discharge you see may be the start of your period.

Dr. K. :

Good luck