Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi I had a tubal ligation march 2011 the same time as delivering

I had a tubal ligation march 2011 the same time as delivering my 4th child by cesarean section.
what are my chances of this failing ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen : hello
Dr Owen : Actually when a tubal is done by c-section - a large portion of the tube is removed - so essentially you are asking if this will grow back together - well it will not - the chance of that happening is about 1 in 1,000,000
Dr Owen : so if you are worried about getting pregnant - you are not to worry
Dr Owen : If you are wanting to get pregnant - then the best bet is to see if you can get your tubes put back together - but usually after a c-section - the tubes are not long enough so usually IVF is needed to get pregnant.
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENTthank you
Customer:

I thqougjr that the failure rate was greater when done at c section. Is this not true?

Dr Owen : OH no, not at all
Dr Owen : because we Remove a portion of the tube during c-section - but the other methods do not
Dr Owen : When I do a tubal after the c-section portion that woman will never get pregnant again naturally - and that is why I tell women to be absolutely sure when I do a tubal
Dr Owen : because when I do a tubal and if you want to get pregnant again - you will need IVF
Customer:

Also I had intercourse 7days ago at day 12of my cycle I now have extremly tender breasts a week before i would normally get and need to urinate often also lack of energy.

Dr Owen : okay
Customer:

but aew you saying pregnancy is an impoasibilitt

Dr Owen : well IF you are having symptoms - then a pregnancy test would be positive - and given only 7 days ago I really doubt this is a pregnancy -
Dr Owen : This is MORE likely to be a simple ovarian cyst, a thyroid condition, or just a simple viral infection
Dr Owen : but not a pregnancy
Dr Owen : just because you have these symptoms does NOT make it a pregnancy - so many other things mimic pregnancy symptoms
Dr Owen : and 99% of the time it is not a pregnancy
Dr Owen : so in 3 days - which is 10 days after sex - do a pregnancy test - and when that test shows negative, you are not pregnant.
Dr Owen : Now given you had that tubal 3 years ago and you had not gotten pregnant Since - that also proves that the tubal worked -
Dr Owen : I wish you welll
Dr Owen : Please click on Excellent for helping - that would be appreciated
Dr Owen : Thank you
Dr Owen : good bye
Dr Owen :

HEllo

Dr Owen :

Please don't forget to click on Excellent for helping you - that is how just answer credits me for helping you and my time

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Please don't forget to click on Excellent -

Dr Owen :

We work hard for you

Dr Owen :

that would be fair for the time I have given to you too

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Please don't forget to take care of your expert who has has given you his time, effort and experience with an outstanding answer

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

It costs you nothing extra to click on a positive rating

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn