Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I Have been diagnosed with Lichens Sclirocis and have been

I Have been diagnosed with Lichens Sclirocis and have been using trimovate cream and gynest cream which seemed to work but my Dr referred me to a specialist at my local hospital who then told me to use dermovate ointment but as the symptoms seemed to have disappear I haven't been using anything . Unfortunately when I woke up this morning the soreness had returned I would really like to know what causes this could it be stress and should I use the Gynest cream all the time I don't mind but as this is a HRT cream I worry about the wide affects!! And also have been told by the chemist that the Dermovate Ointment is very very strong but should I use it even though the symptoms have gone (Im very confused) and wish that I had a biopsy but the Dr didn't push this can you help me as I am stressing as have been tolda that with this complaint I am more at risk of getting Cancer Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : I'm reading your question
Dr Owen : Well what you should do is continue to use the steroid cream at least 3 to 4 times per week for at least 4 to 6 months after the LIchenh appears to have disappeared
Dr Owen : That way the LIchen should stay away and drastically decrease the risk of a vulva/ vaginal cancer
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on Excellent for helping you
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

Ok thank you but should I carry on using the Gynest internally as well as my GP said that it could be caused by a oestregen problem ?

Dr Owen : Yes you can continue to use the Gynest - that is good inside the vagina
Customer:

And finally can you give me any information as to what causes this is it my age and lack of oestregen please

Dr Owen : The truth is that NO ONE knows what causes lichen - we just see this more commonly in post menopausal women
Dr Owen : so the only thing you can do is treat this
Dr Owen : We wish we knew what causes this that way we can prevent this - but we can't - we can only treat this
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on excellent
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

ok will start using the Dermovate Ointment as advised by the Specialist at The Wellsley Hospital thankyou ang have a good evening!

Dr Owen : You are welcome