Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Had mirena coil for 9 months, now got sore nipples and my

Had mirena coil for 9 months, now got sore nipples and my period last week last very light and stopped after a day. Why has it suddenly changed?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well first thing I would do is check a pregnancy test - and once you confirm the pregnancy test is negative, you know this is not due to a pregnancy.

Dr Owen :

So then this could just be due to a surge in your hormones, a possible thyroid condition, an ovarian cyst, or also can be due to stress/ anxiety in your life -

Dr Owen :

so there really is no particular reason - but honestly these things DO occur and are very common - and the big thing is to confirm the IUD is still there and that you are not pregnant.

Dr Owen :

I hope that makes sense

Dr Owen :

if you have more questions, please ask

Customer:

Yes I think a hpt is a good idea. I hadnt had any sex since the coil was fitted but I did have unprotected sex about 3 weeks ago and the soreness has been here for about a fortnight.

Dr Owen :

okay - well unlikely a pregnancy since you have not had sex - but I always check.

Customer:

I did think u couldn't get pregnant with the mirena coil though?

Dr Owen :

you are NOT suppose to be able to get pregnant - but there is always a very small chance and hence why I check

Dr Owen :

but if not pregnant - then the symptoms you are having are due to one of the reasons I have given you - and NONE of them are serious - and all easily treated.

Customer:

If I can still feel the threads then pregnancy is unlikely isnt it

Dr Owen :

well if the pregnancy test is negative - as you last had sex 3 weeks ago - you are definitely NOT pregnant

Customer:

Its just weird that all these symptoms started after i had sex- probably all in my head! Ok o will test and find out. What do I do if its positive? Get the coil removed?

Dr Owen :

I understand...but that is why I also said things such as STress and anxiety can cause this

Dr Owen :

so do the pregnancy test - if the pregnancy test is negative - you do nothing and let your body resolve things on its own, but do get a TSH thyroid test to check your thyroid as thyroid conditions are VERY common for women

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help

Dr Owen :

you are welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent

Dr Owen :

that is how justanswer credits me for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you