Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

my nurse told me that I have vagininitis. gave me suppositories.

my nurse told me that I have vagininitis. gave me suppositories. no help. today my vagina is red sore and stings when I go to the loo.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Hello - I assume you were not told what is happening either - and can you tell me the Name of the suppositories you are taking...?

Dr Owen :

And usual causes for this could be an UTI - Urinary tract infection which would require an antibiotic such as Macrobid to treat.

Dr Owen :

This could also be a yeast infection (also known as Thrush or Fungal infection) and treatment for this would be Canestan (also known as clotrimazole ) or using fluconazole (diflucan).

Dr Owen :

And finally since you are 61 - this is also more than likely due to Atrophy (thinning of the vaginal / genital skin) and hence using an Estrogen product such as Premarin, Estrace or VAgifem) would help

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please if you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

Customer:

I was given vagifem 10 mcg did not finish course

Dr Owen :

okay - if Atroph (for estrogen replacement - ) - then this can take about 2 to 4 weeks to start to heal.

Dr Owen :

BUT I would also make sure this is not an UTI or a Yeast infection too.

Dr Owen :

And, FInally there is one other possibility called Lichen Planus or Lichen Sclerosis - which would require use of an steroid product called Clobesterol -

Customer:

thank you shall make appt at my doctors tomorrow

Dr Owen :

You are welcome

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

That is how justanswer credits me for helping you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Please don't forget to click on EXCELLENT _ that is the only way we get credit for helping you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well - have a great week

Dr Owen :

please don't forget to click on Excellent

Dr Owen :

thank you