Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Dr Owen,Im still very stressed about the overheating while

Dr Owen,I'm still very stressed about the overheating while sunbathing issue. I keep going over and over in my head of how much did my body temperature increase in the sun. You are the only Dr. Online who advised me it's not a problem, I had a second opinion who told me that sun rays deplete folic acid stores and increase core body temp which causes the baby brain to overheat and potential neurological problems.In your opinion how much does body temperature increase in the sun? I spent full long
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Sun bathing does NOT cause you to over heat

Dr Owen :

Sun bathing does NOT deplete folic acid - whereever or whoever told you that honestly is a 'quack'

Dr Owen :

So HEAT stress and Heat Stroke really ONLY occur when you are OVER working yourself - and If you can talk, converse, and do other things while sunbathing you are NOT going to cause ANY PROBLEMS to you or the baby.

Dr Owen :

so there is NOTHING you need to worry about.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

Customer: I must say that even though I find your answer very reassuring I'm finding it hard to believe that my temperature did not increase dangerously when my pregnant temperature is 37-37.5, and probably was at the higher end in the first trimester.
Customer: I know I didn't suffer heat stroke as wasn't unwell at any point, but can I shine my body warming up up 38 degrees.
Dr Owen :

it does not ---

Dr Owen :

Let's just say I live in a VERY HOT climate in South Carolina where the summer temperatures are ALWAYS in the high 90's - I take care of women who are pregnant and sun bath all the time - and NEVER do I see a problelm, NEVER - and South Carolina also has Humidity that is almost always at 100% plus temperatures about 95 to100 degrees everyday from June through September - so it is HOT and I never see the problems that you are describing - so YOu can really relax and do not worry about this honestly.

Dr Owen :

I wish you wel

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer: Thank you.