Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

hi there can u help i have got the yellow virginal discarge

Customer Question

hi there can u help i have got the yellow virginal discarge is anything to worry about
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Are you sexually active? If so, is there any chance of an STD?
When was your last pelvic exam and Pap smear?
Do you use anything for birth control?
Are you still having periods?
Is there any odor or itching? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there yes i am sexually active i had a smear last year i take cerelle for birth control i don,t have periods because i take the birth control all the time as for odour it like a fishy smell like i have not been washing my but i shower every day

A yellow discharge with a fishy odor is usually from something called bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is when the bad bacteria take over in the vagina from the good bacteria. It's not serious, and we don't understand very well why some women get it.

It can be diagnosed by your doctor using a microscope, and it's treated with antibiotics, although it's not an infection. It may or may not go away on its own. It does have a tendency to come back in some women.

BV is more common in women that douche, so it's better no to douche. I hope that's helpful.
Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi can get the stuff from chemerst or will i need to see my doctor norma

You'll need to see your doctor, both to confirm the diagnosis and because the medication requires a prescription.