Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a baby 8.5 months ago and periods returned to normal

Customer Question

I had a baby 8.5 months ago and periods returned to normal straight away. Last month in the middle of my cycle I started having pink/brown discharge and this has been going on for 4 weeks now - so right through when I should have had my normal period. I have cramping and sometimes a little nauseous. My GP says that it's probably just one abnormal cycle however it's still going on and I am worried as would like to have baby number 2. Should I see a gynaecologist ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

How old are you?
Did your last period come when expected and seem completely normal?
Have you had much stress? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im 32 but I had 4 rounds of ABVD chemo for lymphoma in my neck in 2010 so a bit worried I'm going into early menopause. My second last period was completely normal . The last one was just this discharge . I am currently building a house 100 miles from where I live so was stressed for a few weeks last month but Iv calmed down now though and the discharge still continues . Should it not have stopped . It's extremely light but still worrying .

The pink brown discharge is quite suggestive that you haven't ovulated for a while. Ovulation is what causes the hormonal changes that result in the uterine lining cleaning off well when a period comes. When a woman doesn't ovulate, she can bleed, but the lining doesn't clean off, and that is what usually results in spotting that goes on and on, such as you're having.

Occasionally not ovulating and having irregular spotting is not unusual, especially when a woman gets into her 30's and 40's. It will usually resolve on its own once you ovulate. It can usually be cleared up by using progesterone pills, which is the hormone that your ovaries make after ovulation.

I think a referral to a gynaecologist would be a good idea. He/she would likely give you progesterone pills to clear up the spotting, and then help to figure out how regularly you ovulate. There are pills to help you to ovulate if needed, and you won't get pregnant unless you ovulate. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

apologies to bother you on this again.

I bought a kit last week which tells me when I am ovulating and apparently I am today but yet I am still spotting. Should this clear up by the end of this cyclbe seeing as I have ovulated ? Or is the spotting something different ?

thanks

breda

Hi Breda,

Assuming that you are ovulating today, that will cause your ovaries to make progesterone, which will cause the changes in your uterine lining so that once you get your next period, the lining will clean off and the spotting should stop. The spotting may or may not stop before that.

If you ovulate today, you should expect your period to come in about 14 days. If it doesn't come then, I would do a pregnancy test.

If you get a period in about 2 weeks, but the spotting continues afterward, then I would see your doctor or a gynecologist, since perhaps you have a polyp or something inside the uterus causing it. It's still highly unlikely to be anything serious.

And it's no bother. I'm happy to help.