Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

hi,i have 5 children,no probs getting pregnant,im 41 we decided

hi,i have 5 children,no probs getting pregnant,im 41 we decided to have another baby I november 2013,got pregnant straight away and I miscarried in December just 4weeks,got pregnant again feb 2014 miscarried again march the first just 5 weeks,we went again got pregnant in april 2014,misscarried again went to 7 weeks....im just waiting for an appointment to have test done etc but it could take about 6 weeks,could you tell me how much would it cost to have these test done?and if my eggs are finish [sorry my terms] would I conceive at all? im getting pregnant straight away!!! please grainne
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : Basically the test you want is called AMH- AntiMullerian Hormone test - that test is about $125 to $250 - and many times you can call the company to reduce the cost of that test or the doctor's office has a way of decreasing the cost too.
Dr Owen : So go to any ob/gyn office to get this done.
Dr Owen : I see you are in Ireland - so convert the US dollar to your currency in your country.
Dr Owen : Other tests you want done are the following:
Dr Owen : Testosterone, Estradiol, FSH, Insulin level, and TSH - these should cost about $200 total for these 5 tests - again convert to your currencty.
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please if you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : thank you
Customer:

hi do you think its a prob or a simple thing ,I had blood test done checking hormones,and thyroid..etc they came back fine,and if my eggs are finish with my age would I get conceive at all???

Dr Owen : well after the age of 40 - it can be tough to get pregnant and to stay pregnant - so that is what your 'body' is fighting - the fact that you CAN get pregnant - but miscarry - tells me that your eggs probably are doing as well 'genetically' from a DNA standpoint - so your body is then miscarrying the fetus due to the quality of the embryo - meaning that your own body knows that the fetus probably does not have DNA that is compatible with life - but the way to know that is with the AMH test
Dr Owen : Other reasons too could be that you might have a Low progesterone level once you ovulate - so you should check that too as soon as you get a positive pregnancy test - and if the progesterone level is low - then you need supplemental progesterone to stay pregnant.
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : If you have more questions, please ask
Dr Owen : Please click on Excellent
Dr Owen : Thank you
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on Excellent for helping you today
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

ok...could you tell me amh test means pls

Dr Owen : The AMH test is Anti Mullerian Hormone - it measures the Quality of your eggs - any number GREATER than 1.0 is a good result.
Dr Owen : If LESS than 1.0 - then this means you are unlikely to get pregnant and have a successful pregnant - so it is a good test to get.
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you - that is how we get credit for helping you
Dr Owen : Thank you
Customer:

could my own doc do that test

Dr Owen : Any doctor can do this test -
Dr Owen : it is just a blood test and the test gets sent to a laboratory to get done
Dr Owen : I wish you well
Dr Owen : Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr Owen : thank you
Dr Owen : Have a great day
Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Dr Owen : you are very welcome
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn