Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi I have not had a for one year, I am not sexually

Hi I have not had a period for one year, I am not sexually active nor have been for the past year, however i am trying for the marathon. My BMI is 21 and I am 24 years of age. I was wondering how does this effect may changes of pregnancy in years to come!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Customer:

Dr Owen :

Actually this is QUITE common - women who exercise a lot - such as women like you training for a marathon, Gymnasts, etc - they actually stop having a period because of lower than normal BMI which also decreases their estrogen levels a bit - NOW there is NOTHING wrong with that - and actually it helps in the long run for various reasons. But once you get back to a normal life without all that training - your BMI should increase a little bit, your estrogen levels should return to normal and you should have normal periods and you should have no problem getting pregnant.

Dr Owen :

The ONLY things I would check NOW are a thyroid and a prolactin blood test - just in case those are the reasons why you are missing your period - as these can be easily treated with medication.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Have a great day

Customer:

So its fair to say I have nothing to worry about

Dr Owen :

That is correct -

Customer:

great, thanks so much

Dr Owen :

IN my answer I have given you everything you need to know