Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been trying to conceive for a few months now and this

Customer Question

I have been trying to conceive for a few months now and this month I am having period cramping on day 30 with a little blood brown/pin. Normally my periods are heavy and I usually have a 28 day cycle should i take a pregnancy test?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Yes, I would do a pregnancy test, using a first morning urine (more accurate).

The cramping and blood suggest that this may be a miscarriage. If the pregnancy test is positive, that will tell you that you definitely are pregnant. In case it's negative, that could mean that the hcg level is too low because it's a miscarriage, or perhaps you weren't pregnant.

At age 36, it's not unusual for a woman to occasionally miss an ovulation, which could be the other reason for the late period and bleeding.

Miscarriage also gets a little more common as a woman ages. However, even if this is one, with your regular periods you'll most likely get pregnant again before long. Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could this be implantation bleeding? and if so what do I do if the test is positive?

Implantation bleeding generally occurs about 1 week before a period is due, not after a period is late.

Also, if it were implantation bleeding, your pregnancy test would be negative, since a test can't turn positive until at least a few days after implantation.

In any case, if the test is positive, keep your fingers crossed that the blood and cramps will stop.
Thank you for your payment and rating.