Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi Doc, I am 31 weeks of my 4th pregnancy, my due expected

Hi Doc,

I am 31 weeks of my 4th pregnancy, my due expected on 21st of Aug. I had a hx of placenta abruption on my 3rd son at 34 weeks and gave birth (CS). My 3rd son now is 1 year and 4 months old. I am concern about having another CS and I won't get a chance to have normal delivery. My OB doctor advised if everything going well until 37 weeks she will admit me to try induction if we did not succeed then I will end up with CS.
I have couple of questions:
1- The first 2 birth were normal delivery , water broke and I had IV indecision because I was having small contractions for 12 hours then the doctor decided to induced me. If I had induction this time what will happened to my CS scar?? I read that it is not advised able to do induction after CS ? ( may lead lead to uterus rupture)?
2- What should I do if I did not have normal labor contractions at 37 weeks?do you have any recommendation to induced normal delivery? (natural)
3- What is less risk to do CS or try normal birth with induction ?
keep in mind that may CS scar age now is 1 year 4 month.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

If you induced and had a vaginal delivery - NOTHING happens to the scar

Dr Owen :

YOU CAN induce after a c-section - you can ONLY use certain medications to induce - you can use pitocin and you can use Cervidil - you can NOT use Misoprostol (also known as cytotec).

Dr Owen :

You can continue to wait even after 37 weeks to see if you go into labor or not - BUT you need to be either induced or have have a c-section by 39 weeks - you do NOT want to wait past 39 weeks

Dr Owen :

Try to have the baby vaginally - it can be successful - so give a try and if successful then you will not have to recover from surgery

Dr Owen :

Your cs scar is fine at 16 months - a little sooner than we like - but as long as you are in the hospital and monitored you will be safe

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer:

I do not know what is the protocol here for induction , I can choose? What I know that it will be through IV.

Customer:

No

Dr Owen :

then it will be pitocin - it is NOT your choice - it is the choice of the doctor - as doctors have their preference - just as I do - your doctor chooses the SAFER method for you

Customer:

What should I do if I did not have normal labor contractions at 37 weeks?do you have any recommendation to induced normal delivery? (natural)

Customer:

cytotec can be through IV?

Dr Owen :

You can wait until 39 weeks as I have ALREADY written for you - I have answered that question already - scroll UP

Dr Owen :

cytotec is NOT IV - and you ARE NOT a candidate for cytotec -

Customer:

no I mean exercises etc

Customer:

climb stairs

Customer:

or bouncing on a gym ball

Dr Owen :

yes you can do that - it does not help - but you can if you want

Dr Owen :

The ONLY reason for exercises - HONESTLY - it is to OCCUPY your mind - but it does NOTHING to enhance labor

Dr Owen :

Our time has expired

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank yo

Dr Owen :

you

Dr Owen :

Have a good evening

Dr Owen :

bye

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

If you would like to discuss more - please click to accept more time

Dr Owen :

or click on Excellent

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

why did you give me a poor rating?

Dr Owen :

I helped you

Dr Owen :

I gave you my time

Dr Owen :

I gave you my expertise

Dr Owen :

can you tell me why?

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

I see you are online

Dr Owen :

thank you

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

Please SEE BELOW...

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
HI,

The choice for induction is the choice of the doctor - as doctors have their preference - just as I do - your doctor chooses the SAFER method for you

You can wait until 39 weeks

Cytotec is NOT IV - and you ARE NOT a candidate for cytotec -
J

I wish you well

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
thank you
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn