Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

hi In 2011 i had an abortion, after that i didnt have my

Customer Question

hi
In 2011 i had an abortion, after that i didn't have my period until 7 months later, i saw a gynaecologist just to check things as i was worried then, he done some blood test and all was normal, at the time i was on dianette, he changed my pill to yasmin, after a month later my period started,now since march 2014 i have come off the pill as i want to try and have a baby, i am aged 35 , so a bit worried , its been 3 months i have been trying and not pregnant yet, they also done a scan at the time which was nrmal, i told them i had pcos, but the lady who done the scan said i didn have cysts or pcos, i was dianosed with it in 2001, which is amazing, could it get better?..i have been checking my ovulation which are positive at time of intercourse, so we have been timing it right.now i have bought a fertility monitor the cyclotest, i measuring my basal temperature every morning, so hoping i will get pregnant this time.
i am very worried that the abortion that i had has caused damaged and i am unable to get pregnant, i am having my period every 28 days,this time it was only for 2 days, usually its 4 days, can you please advise what i could do or if there are any problems, i done a fsh test at home, it came negative, which is good.
i feel upset that i had an abortion as i am thinking what if i cat get pregant... can you please advise
thanks
REENA
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Reena

JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- :

hi

Dr Owen :

You can not diagnosed or Undiagnose a problem with PCOS just by a scan - but You do need to get other blood tests such as Testosterone, Insulin, Estradiol and DHEA-S levels - and and if you have an elevated testosterone level then you probably still have PCOS - and then you should be on a medication called Metformin to help you GET pregnant and stay pregnant.

Dr Owen :

As for a history of an abortion - you should get a Hysteroscopy - this is a camera that goes in the uterus to Look to see if you have any scar tissue - and that could be a possibility.

Dr Owen :

Also, you should get a HSG - Hysterosalpingogram -as you should get your fallopian tubes checked to make sure they are open -

Dr Owen :

And, 3 Months is NOT that long to try and get pregnant - it takes the Average couple 6 to 12 months of trying to get pregnant because EVEN IF EVERYTHING IS PERFECT - you only have a 15% chance of getting pregnant in any given month - so that is why it takes an average of 6 to 12 months of trying.

Dr Owen :

It is good you are having a period every 28 days - so that tells me things are working well

Dr Owen :

So you also need to take care of yourself - eat well, EXCERCISE, drink plenty of water and take pregnatal vitamins even now.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you today

Dr Owen :

Have a Great weekend

Dr Owen :

JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- :

shall i wait before i go to my go again though for further investgation?

Dr Owen :

Yes - I would do exactly as I have described - that way you know - but following what I have suggested will help you to see if you truly have PCOS and if you need metformin - but also STAY PATIENT - getting pregnant is really not as easy as you think - so relax and have fun getting patient - it will happen.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- :

would i have any symptoms if i have scaring after abortion as you mentioned : As for a history of an abortion - you should get a Hysteroscopy - this is a camera that goes in the uterus to Look to see if you have any scar tissue - and that could be a possibility

Dr Owen :

no you would not have any symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- :

why didnt i have a period for 7 months after abortion?

Dr Owen :

you had PCOS - that is common not to have a period with PCOS

Dr Owen :

you could have had Anxiety which can cause you not to ovulate and hence not have a period

Dr Owen :

there are just a lot of possibilities

JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- :

i always had period , my periods are regular

Dr Owen :

I understand that - but human beings are NOT robots - we are living, breathing organisms - we change

Dr Owen :

so hence this is why you should get that evaluation so that you can get this checked and if anything is needed to be treated it can

Dr Owen :

Well I have to take care of a patient

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

follow what I have told you and it will help

Dr Owen :

It is all written down for you above.

Dr Owen :

Have a great weekend

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

We only get credit for helping you when you click on Excellent - and for my time

Dr Owen :

take care

Dr Owen :

bye

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

I see you did not give me a positive rating

Dr Owen :

I have given you my time and expertise to help you

Dr Owen :

It would be appreciated if you click on EXCELLENT
thank you

Dr Owen :

.

Dr Owen :

,

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

Please see Below...

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

YOU:.....JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- : shall i wait before i go to my go again though for further investgation?

YOU:........JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- : would i have any symptoms if i have scaring after abortion as you mentioned : As for a history of an abortion - you should get a Hysteroscopy - this is a camera that goes in the uterus to Look to see if you have any scar tissue - and that could be a possibility

No you would not have any symptoms.

YOU:......JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- : why didnt i have a period for 7 months after abortion?

You had PCOS - that is common not to have a period with PCOS

You could have had Anxiety which can cause you not to ovulate and hence not have a period

There are just a lot of possibilities

YOU:......JACUSTOMER-5w41urow- : i always had period , my periods are regular

So hence this is why you should get that evaluation so that you can get this checked and if anything is needed to be treated it can

Please click on Excellent for helping you - that is the Only way I get credit for helping you and my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My gp told me it has been proven that u can fall pregnant. So assume i can again. I am worried that if i have some scar tissue after the abortion i would not be able to fall pregnant. My period has always been regular.

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well you can get scar tissue after an abortion - this is called Asherman's syndrome - and honestly you unless you had a Septic Abortion (meaning you were very Sick, ill and had a lot of fevers - that is when you usually get Asherman's syndrome - so You should be able to get pregnant.

I wish you well
Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
that would be fair.