Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

my mother has tingling , hot and cold sensation and tingling

my mother has tingling , hot and cold sensation and tingling on her right side which is after effect of 2 strokes she suffered about a year ago.
i HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A REMEDY TO HELP TAKE AWAY OR CUSHION THIS TERRIBLE sensation - can you hop advice ?
theodore reynolds
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Where is this tingling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

mainly in her right arm , right hand and right leg and right foot

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
What other medical problems does she have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

some athrities,

she also suffered severe blood loss 5.5. once in september 2013 and again at same level in march 2014.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

some athritis,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello , did you receive my last response ?

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
What kind of therapy has your mother received besides medications?
And, has she had any scans of her body?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she hasn't received anything else and she had a scan done of her knock to see the blood vessel going to the brain the scan also covered her lungs where they saw a clot in her lungs , this was a year ago and this is all

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Besides this tingling, a history of a stroke, what other medical problems does she have - such as a thyroid problem, diabetes, is she over or under weight, any history of a cancer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is just overweight

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
okay given what she is feeling and just on one side of the body - it is unlikely anything serious, especially since she has had a brain scan and I assume it looks fairly normal - meaning there is no multiple sclerosis or any masses in the brain.
So what she MORE than likely has is due to nerve compression from the spine - the nerves of the spine where they come out from the spinal cord are compressing those nerves and hence why she has all these symptoms such as tingling
So, what she needs to do is work with a physical therapist - as there are many way to decompress these nerves such as using traction devices for about 10 to 15 minutes per day.
I wish you and your mother well
Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

her condition has been described by one of the doctors as being Post stroke pain Syndrome , where the part of the brain controlling signals from the affected part of the body is misinterpreting the signals as cold and hot and tingling sensations .

Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Yes and that it could be.
But I still suggest her getting physical therapy - as that is about the only thing at this point that will benefit her - as medications for this really do not work as you have already attested to.
I wish her well
Please click on Excellent for helping you today