Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi. I am having an IUD inserted this thursday and am terrified

Hi. I am having an IUD inserted this thursday and am terrified of the pain of insertion. I have 2 cytotek/misoprostal to insert the morning of the procedure but i'm still terrified. Please can you tell me is there anything at all i can do to reduce insertion pain? I have never been pregnant before or anything but really do want this form of contraception and want the insertion to work out. I also have a history of vaginismus(cured now) and a retroverted uterus. Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Actually getting an IUD inserted is REALLY NOT that painful - so please do NOT think that it is.

Dr Owen :

Now take the cytotec - that will soften the cervix and make inserting the IUD easier.

Dr Owen :

YOU can take 800 mg of Ibuprofen about 1 hour prior

Dr Owen :

And this sounds like you have a LOT of anxiety and fear - so Ask to get Ativan 1 mg prior to insertion - that will make you very relaxed -

Dr Owen :

and PLEASE do not worry or be scared.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

I see you have seen my answer....

Dr Owen :

Please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you