Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hello I have a big problem causing a lot of stress. I had

I have a big problem causing a lot of stress. I had a surgical termination in march this year and still have not had a period. I've been to my GP and hospital but they cannot give me a clear answer. I'm extremely worried. Please help. Many thanks. Rina
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

HI Rina

Dr Owen :

Well a few things you need to check

Dr Owen :

First stress can cause you to NOT ovulate and hence you will not have a period

Dr Owen :

Also, if you have a thyroid problem - such as Low thyroid - this can be checked with a TSH thyroid blood test and if low, then it can be easily treated with a medication such as levothyroixine and your periods should return

Dr Owen :

You might have an elevated Prolactin level - this too should be checked and is easily treated with Bromocriptine

Customer:

Hello I understand but I don't think it's stress. I have had very strange abdominal cramps and a churning feeling constantly for the past 2 weeks

Dr Owen :

Also, you should check for a problem with weight - if you are OVER or Underweight - this can cause a problem too.

Dr Owen :

So Missing a Period is actually VERY easy to figure out what is going on - and then once you do - you just make sure you treat this appropriately

Dr Owen :

And also I would check your ovaries for very small cysts called PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome - this too can be treated.

Dr Owen :

So I strongly suggest getting all of this checked and then properly treated and then you should not have a problem

Customer:

I am not over or underweight as I have had this checked at the hospital

Dr Owen :

I'm just giving you ALL the possible reasons for this

Customer:

That's the problem. The hospital are essentially useless and have not even detected any of the above in order to treat whatever it is I have

Dr Owen :

Please remember - I'm Not sitting in front of you so I can't see you

Customer:

So I am at a loss with no certainty of what's wrong with me

Dr Owen :

No, it sounds like you have not done the tests I have suggested

Customer:

How would I do the tests? Shouldn't they be done by my GP or hospital?

Dr Owen :

the hospital for this is too BIG

Dr Owen :

Here I will list out what you need to get done again.

Dr Owen :

1. TSH thyroid

Dr Owen :

2. Prolactin level

Dr Owen :

3. Ultrasound of the ovaries

Dr Owen :

and from there you should be able to figure what is happening so that you can get treated - it really is not that difficult - I do this everyday

Customer:

Ok so how do I go about doing the above

Dr Owen :

you just go to your doctor and tell him/her what is going on and you get this done

Dr Owen :

it really is very simple

Dr Owen :

I'm not sure why they are not doing this

Dr Owen :

but you just need to tell the doctor what is going on

Dr Owen :

tell the GP that you have spoken with an ob/gyn

Dr Owen :

and then you just need to get the tests

Dr Owen :

very simple

Customer:

I went to my GP. And was seen by a fill in Dr. She seemed to know nothing and simply referred me back to the hospital from where I just came saying I need to do yet another blood test

Dr Owen :

okay

Dr Owen :

well Take what I have written for you

Dr Owen :

and then your GP can really order these tests

Customer:

I will do. Thank you

Dr Owen :

please click on Excellent for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Board certified Ob/Gyn