Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hello, I had my first baby in May 2010 who we conceived

Customer Question

I had my first baby in May 2010 who we conceived naturally and very quickly. I had the implant put in February 2013. My husband and I decided to try for baby number 2 in April 2014 so I had my implant removed that same month.
Before the implant was put in my periods were regular. Whilst I had the implant I had light periods very rarely. Afterwards I have not had any periods at all.
About 6 weeks after removal I experienced some lower abdomen pain which lasted about 3 weeks. The pain was only slight and was around the ovary area on the right hand side.
My doctor performed blood tests which showed elevated ESR markers. I was sent for an ultrasound which showed nothing abnormal - I was told my ovaries looked round and healthy. I then had a second blood test (2 weeks after the first) which showed nothing - normal ESR markers.
Whilst all this was ongoing I started using daily ovulation predictor kits to find out what was going on with my body. I experienced positive tests every day for 14 days in a row and then they turned negative and have been ever since.
On 10th July I had some spotting which lasted 3 days. This was the first bleeding I have experienced since implant removal.
On the 17th July the doctor took more blood in order to test my hormone levels.
Over the weekend (19th and 20th July) I have had some sharp pains in my lower abdomen, right hand side again.
Today (22nd July) the doctor has advised me that based on the hormone test results I probably have primary ovarian failure. She gave me a print out of the hormone test results:
Prolactin - 209 mu/L
FSH - 66.8 IU/L
LH - 22.3 IU/L
Oestradiol - 168 pmol/L
She has told me she has referred me to a gynaecologist but that this could take several weeks / months.
I'm devastated by this news. But also finding it difficult to believe.
I just want to get another opinion please.
Claire
PS my mother went through the menopause at just 40 years old. I am 34 years old.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well you also have an elevated Prolactin level

JACUSTOMER-k3zi2yn8- :

What does that mean?

Dr Owen :

so before you consider POF - Primary ovarian failure - YOU need to see an endocrinologist - you might have something going on with your pituitary

Dr Owen :

this means you have elevated levels of MANY hormones coming from the pituitary gland - this is the MASTER gland at the base of the brain and THIS needs to be evaluated by an Endocrinologist -

Dr Owen :

I doubt you have primary ovarian failure - I think you have something going on with the pituitary and that is your next step

JACUSTOMER-k3zi2yn8- :

Should I go back to my GP or just wait until I get the Gynaecologist appointment?

Dr Owen : I said you need to see an endocrinologist.
Dr Owen : not an ob gyn and not a gp
Dr Owen : you need an endocrinologist.
Dr Owen : please click on excellent for helping you
Dr Owen : We are real doctors , I'm sorry but I have responsibility to take care of my patients in person, and I did come back to answer you.
Dr Owen : so please change that bad rating to excellent
Dr Owen : thank you
Dr Owen : Hello
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.