Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Ive had the Mirena coil in for a year and half and after about

Customer Question

I've had the Mirena coil in for a year and half and after about 7 months had no periods. Last month I had a light two day bleed and this month a bit later in the month I am having another bleed along with sore lower back. Should I be worried? I had a smear 9 months ago and was given he all clear
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I wouldn't be worried about the light bleeding. It's not unusual with the Mirena to have no bleeding for a time and then have occasional bleeding.
Most back pain is musculoskeletal, meaning it's related to our muscles, bones, and ligaments. Usually with good back care (lifting carefully, regular exercise, etc) and taking it easy a little while, and the back pain will resolve on its own.
All that being said, the other possibility for the light bleeding and back pain could be a uterine infection. This would generally only happen from and STD, so if that could be a possibility, I would see your doctor to be checked. I'm sure it's not related to your Pap smear or cancer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great thank you that's put my mind at rest. An STD is definitely not likely is it possible my periods are returning on the coil?
I think it's unlikely that you would start regular periods with the coil. However, you may have light bleeding occasionally. It usually will not be heavy at all.