Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi Ive had a mirena coil in for two years and Ive lost my

Customer Question

Hi I've had a mirena coil in for two years and I've lost my strings and I started bleading last night
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Some bleeding is not unusual with the Mirena, even if you haven't had any bleeding for a long time. However, it's also possible that the Mirena has come out. I would recommend seeing your doctor to check. If your doctor is not able to see the strings (sometimes they curl up inside the cervix, and a simple probe can bring them out), then an ultrasound will determine whether it is in place or not. It might have fallen out, in which case you're no longer protected. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.