Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I am 53 and been having irregular periods for few years. I

I am 53 and been having irregular periods for few years. I was treated in 2010 for overactive thyroid and had radioiodine . I had my period on 15th July which was normal . On thurs 31st July I started spotting . I had a med flow fri night , hardly nothing sat and med flow yesterday ( sun ) . Today ( mon ) I have one red spot. Do you think it is hormonal changes due to perimenopause ? By the way I have been on 100mg thyroxine since feb , my thyroid was level . I am really scared , thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well given you are hypothyroid and normal with medication and given your bleeding pattern - this sounds like you are having something normal going on

Dr Owen :

and it does NOT sound concerning at all so I would not be concerned.

Dr Owen :

I would suggest a pelvic exam and to make sure your PAP smear is up to day and also get a Pelvic ultrasound - if the ultrasound is normal the the 'STRIPE' of the inside of the uterus is less than 4 mm - then you do NOT have an Uterine cancer and you should be fine.

Dr Owen :

so Please do not worry

Dr Owen :

Have a good day

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENt

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you today

Dr Owen :

thank you