Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 42 and until my last always had a regular 28 day

Customer Question

I am 42 and until my last period always had a regular 28 day cycle I have recently become sexually active and then did not get my period due first week june and have still not had my period I am now starting to feel a bit sick and other preg***** *****ke symptons but every test I take is negative I have never taken one first thing in morning as I do not sleep and am always drinking cans of coke constantly and am also taking lisinopril for high blood pressure can you advise me
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you done a pregnancy test since you started feeling pregnancy symptoms?
Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes just now and still negative

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes just now and still negative and no birth control

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
A pregnancy test should be positive by the time there are any symptoms, so I doubt that you're pregnant. There is a small possibility that because of the fluids you drink, that your urine is so dilute that the pregnancy test is negative, but I think that's doubtful with no period for almost 3 months.
Most likely you haven't had a period because you're 42 years old. At some point women usually start to miss periods as the age. It's the first step leading toward menopause (which may still be years away). It's related to not ovulating, since ovulation is what brings on a period 2 weeks later.
When a woman doesn't ovulate, her ovaries may continue to be stimulated, which can cause high estrogen levels, which can cause nausea, sore breasts, and other symptoms of pregnancy.
To be completely sure, you could see your doctor for a blood pregnancy test, since it won't be affected by dilute urine. Otherwise you could just give it some time and see if your periods don't return. They probably won't ever be so regular as they were in the past. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment.