Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi, I have been on the depo for a number of years and decided

I have been on the depo for a number of years and decided I needed to give my body a break therefore my last injection was 18 Feb. Whilst on the injection I never had a period and still not had one. I have been sexually active with my partner and not used any contraception. About 4 days ago my nipples became erect and very tender (still are) and for a day or 2 have been feeling a bit nauseous during the day. Could this be the symptoms of coming off the depo?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Well this could be that your body is trying to ovulate as you are overdue for an injection of depoprovera.

Dr Owen :

Now, also - IT CAN take as long as 6 months after the depo provera has worn off that you will have a period - so NOT having a period is not that unusual

Dr Owen :

So since you have been sexually active - you should check a pregnancy test - JUST to be sure this is not a pregnancy - as this could be a pregnancy to as the depo provera is ONLY guaranteed to work until about 12 weeks from the last injjection.

Dr Owen :

If you are NOT pregnant - you can also get the next injection of depo provera if you wish

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :

Customer: Many thanks for your help and advice.
Dr Owen :

you are welcome

Dr Owen :

so what you are experiencing is very common and if you have a negative pregnancy test - this is just the depo

Customer: If I did a pregnancy test would it show straight away due to the fact that I have not experienced a period therefore don't know when to test
Dr Owen :

yes the pregnancy test is accuate - especially the newer tests from EPT, Clear blue or First Response

Customer: thanks again