Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

My daughter had a termination over 20 years agoTwo years

My daughter had a termination over 20 years ago
Two years ago she had two miscarraiges and was told she has to have 3 before they investigate further
She is now 4o years old and distressed and wanting a child.
What is your advice
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--are you saying that so far she hasn't had any testing for the problem? Was there a problem found for the two miscarriages two years ago?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the miscarriage occurred bothe times at 2 months and no reason was given

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so is she now trying to get pregnant and so far has been unsuccessful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's correct

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--has she had any workup at all to see what the problem might be? And, if not, why not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has to wait for another miscarriage before the local doctor refer her for further investigation.

Her partner has two children of his own.

I think her blood group is rhesus negative.

Could the problem be linked to previous termination?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this. Possibly the problem could be related to the previous termination causing the two miscarriages, but that wouldn't be related to the problem she's having now with getting pregnant. She needs a full workup that would include estrogen, progesterone, LH, and FSH levels as well as a pelvic ultrasound to start with. There could be a hormonal problem or there could be a physical problem as with blocked tubes, retrograde uterus, fibroids, or something call polycystic ovarian syndrome or possibly endometriosis. There's no sense in waiting to see if she gets pregnant and then has another miscarriage before these investigations, so she needs to be referred to a fertility specialist gynecologist