Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I am ttc and suffering from depression. My GP put me on a low

I am ttc and suffering from depression. My GP put me on a low level of fluoxetine today. She is also sending me for a 21 day progesterone test.
My cycles are regular, between 27 - 32 days and I get 5 days of EWCM from day 10 - 16 so it seems like I ovulate. My periods last for 3 days and are fairly light.
I have read that depression can cause low levels of progesterone though so could this be why I'm not pregnant? We have been trying for 2 months and husband's sperm test was above average so guessing the problem is with me.
If I have low levels of progesterone a) could this be caused by depression and can it get better once I start the medication
b) is there treatment for this to help me get pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

well depression and anxiety can play into having irregular ovulation even THOUGH you have a normal regularly occurring period.

Customer:

Ok, how does that work then if my cycles are regular?

Dr Owen :

so if you are having depression - this SHOULD be treated because you might then be able to ovulated and using the antidepression medication that you said - would be safe to use

Customer:

From what I've read anxiety usually causes a delay in ovulation, I understood that to mean that my period would be late. Mine seem to be regular though

Dr Owen :

well anxiety/ depression can cause you NOT to ovulate even though you have a period -

Dr Owen :

so treat the depression and you might find that You can then get pregnant.

Customer:

Ok. Is it worth me having the 21 day test then? As I have depression my progesterone levels might be low?

Dr Owen :

no, the 21 day test honestly is worthless - I never use it

Dr Owen :

so I really suggest - treat the depression and you should be able to get pregnant-

Customer:

Ok, my GP wants me to have the test so I will probably have it, but im a bit concerned if my progesterone levels are low (due to the depression maybe) I will worry more!

Dr Owen :

Well from the Ob/gyn perspective - the progesterone test really does not help

Dr Owen :

Your progesterone levels are really not helpful UNTIL you have a positive pregnancy test - so you really can not use the progesterone test.

Dr Owen :

;I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping y ou

Dr Owen :

thank you

Dr Owen :

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you