Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi there I found out I am pregnant at 12 weeks. Unfortunately

Hi there I found out I am pregnant at 12 weeks. Unfortunately I consumed a large amount of alcohol in the first 12 weeks due to personal issues and the fact that's didn't know I was pregnant. I am so worried my baby has fetal alcohol syndrome or I have damaged it in some way, is there a test that can be done to find out.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 3 years ago.
Dr Owen : Hello
Dr Owen : When di you drink this alcohol exactly?
Dr Owen : are you still drinking alcohol?
Customer: I' am no longer drinking alcohol I stopped as soon as I found out. I drank alcohol about 5 nights per week every week until I found out at 12 weeks
Dr Owen : How much per night?
Customer: Most nights I would say about 3 pints of lager or cider but some nights maybe 5 pints.
Dr Owen : Okay so that really was not that much alcohol in general
Dr Owen : now MOST CASES of FAS occur when the mother continues to drink alcohol
Customer: Okay so do you mean when people continue to drink right the way through
Dr Owen :

Yes - when MOTHERs continue to drink - that is the greatest risk for FAS

Dr Owen :

so for you the risk of FAS is less than 1 to 2% - so you really do NOT need to worry - it would be Unlikely to get FAS -

Dr Owen :

I see HUNDREDs of women just like you and I almost never see FAS do to similar circumstances