Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Im just looking for a bit of advice. I have irregular cycles,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. I have irregular cycles, but the past few months have seen me have a cycle of around 32-35 days. A week ago I started brown spotting. I usually get this a few hours before my full period starts. It's now a week on and I've still got the brown spotting and no sign of my usual full flow. I've been checking for ovulation and have had 5 positive tests so far. Any ideas on what this could mean? Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Dr Owen :

hello

Dr Owen :

This could be a possible sign of a thyroid condition, and testing for this is done with a TSH thyroid blood test.

Dr Owen :

Also, this could be a possible sign of PCOS - polycystic ovarian Syndrome - and an ultrasound can be done to look at the ovaries and the uterus.

Dr Owen :

And, then this could be a possible infection - and some swabs of the vagina should be done.

Dr Owen :

BUT this also could be that your body is adjusting - and hence your body can have a cycle like this and a normal cycle is still one that occurs every 24 to 35 days, and sometimes brown spotting can occur - which is common.

Customer: Thank you. I've been tested for PCOS and the results for negative for this
Dr Owen :

So for Now, IF you are trying to get pregnant - then just have a TSH thyroid blood test and an ultrasound to check your ovaries

Dr Owen :

a thyroid problem is very common in women - so it is easy to check and if you have a thyroid problem - it is easy to treat with medication such as Synthroid.

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr Owen :

thank you

Customer: Would a thyroid issue have any impact on having positive ovulation tests? I normally only have two days of positives and never for 5 or more....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a thyroid issue have any impact on having positive ovulation tests? I normally only have two days of positives and never for 5 or more....
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
the Thyroid is essentially the master gland - and hence this controls the ovaries through the hormone LH (which is what gives a positive Ovulation test) - which comes from pituitary gland - so TESTING the TSH hormone which is made from the pituitary to control the thyroid - this can then tell if there is a problem with the pituitary that controls the LH and FSH too.
I hope that helps
If you have more questions, please ask
Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you