Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

Hi, I had lletz in November. Repeat smear in May with the all

Hi, I had lletz in November. Repeat smear in May with the all clear and no HPV present. I have been on no contraception for 2 years and my periods are very heavy lasting 7-9 days on average. My doctor said I have menorrhagia and put me on tranex acid. I am now taking 20mg of citralpram so had to stop taking the tranex acid. For the last 3 cycles I have my normal long heavy period but tail end of period I get a clear discharge streaked with blood red/brown for around 3 days. My doctor has referred me for a ultasound so am waiting. Also had bloods taken a few months back all normal. Also had a ovarian cancer ( cant remember the name of test) test all normal levels. Any ideas why Im getting this discharge?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Owen replied 2 years ago.
Dr Owen :

hello

Customer:

hi

Dr Owen :

let me read your question

Dr Owen :

well this discharge could be due to hormonal imbalances - which blood tests will NOT detect -

Dr Owen :

so therefore the best way of dealing with this is with birth control such as using the pill, the Nuvuaring in the vagina, or using the Mirena IUD.

Customer:

yes doctor said once ive had ultra sound we would discuss. Just wondering if women with menorragia get this also. Ive started to worry myself silly.

Customer:

also is it maybe the uterus just cleaning left over blood.? or not likley?

Dr Owen :

Menorrhagia is really just due to hormones - sometimes fibroids -

Dr Owen :

and using hormones such as birth control is the way to control this

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr Owen :

and given you you need tranex - honestly I would suggest using something such as the Mirena IUD since this continues to occur

Dr Owen :

I wish you well

Dr Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr Owen :