Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hi there, am 13 weeks pregnant have gone for scan, my doc

Customer Question

Hi there, am 13 weeks pregnant have gone for scan, my doc said the baby stopped developing at 9weeks and thre was no heartbeat, I have not seen any spotting or undergone any bleeding. Please help me to know what can be cause of that? I asked they didn't give me a proper information wht mght be the reason? For now am waiting to go for another scan to confirm.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

It sounds like a miscarriage. I'm sorry. Miscarriage occurs in 15-20% of all pregnancies.

Most miscarriages are due to chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus. It's nature's way of preventing the birth of babies with abnormalities.

Usually bleeding and subsequent miscarriage will occur a few weeks or so after the baby dies.

Assuming that the baby has the size of a 9 week fetus, and there is no heartbeat, I don't think that another scan to confirm is really necessary, but it won't hurt.

Usually when we know there will be a miscarriage, it's just a matter of waiting for it to happen. Your doctor may offer help to get it over with, either by pills or a D&C.

I'm sorry for your loss.