DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

After two early miscarriages my consultant prescribed cyclogest

After two early miscarriages my consultant prescribed cyclogest 400 pessaries to take twice a day throughout the cycle. After 10 days of taking the pessaries I'm now experiencing brown spotting and bleeding (I'm now on cycle day 21) and I believe I did not ovulate this cycle. My usual cycle length is 35 days. Is the spotting normal and is it true that progesterone suppresses ovulation if taken in the first half of the cycle?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Progesterone biologically prepares the uterus for pregnancy.
As levels where off, menstruation occurs.
So you can suppress menstruation by taking progesterone.
Some breakthrough spotting can occur with any preparation.
But, this does not mean that you should fail to discuss this with your doctor and give an update, since spotting can occur from other causes, implantation bleeding, infection, etc.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Thomas,

thank you for you reply. My next appointment with the doctor is in 3 months. I will try to get an appointment with a GP, but in the meantime, would you recommend to continue with the progesterone?

Also, one of my initial questions - does taking progesterone in the first half of the cycle suppress ovulation?

Thank you for your advice.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes and yes, and talk with your doctor.
OK, so that is an initial answer….