Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Ive got pelvic burning & back pain, i did a wee sample & gp

Customer Question

Ive got pelvic burning & back pain, i did a wee sample & gp found it had blood & glucose in it, im sending it to the lab tomorrow, ive was given Trimthoprim yesterday which hasnt worked yet, i had Chlamydia 2 years ago & havent been with anyone else since & neither has my boyfriend, i was also tested for hpv, gonorrea & aids which all came back negative, ive got my 3yr cervical smear on weds & am scared stiff incase all this pain i have is cervical cancer, my periods have been fine & regular. Do you think this is just a uti?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today
Is the burning right where you pee, or elsewhere?
How long has it been since your last normal Pap smear? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Burning in my pelvis & back all the time & needing to urinate often. my last normal one was 3 years ago
Did your doctor do a pelvic exam?
How long have you had the burning? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes she did & said she didnt feel anything wrong, ive had it for 5 days now
First of all, cervical cancer is hardly a possibility. Cervical cancer takes many years to develop, so that a normal Pap smear 3 years ago almost guarantees that you do not have cervical cancer. The most you could have would be some form of pre cancer changes, which are easily treated. Also, cervical cancer doesn't cause pelvic burning.
It's hard to say what could be causing the burning. Genital herpes would be a common cause (in spite of just one partner), but your doctor would have seen that on exam.
A yeast infection can cause burning, but usually it causes more itching.
It may be a reaction to something your skin down there has come into contact with, sort of an allergic reaction.
Having to urinate often may mean a urinary infection, but the medication should have helped that by now. The urine testing will show that or not.
So I'm not sure what is causing the burning, but I think you can relax about thinking that it's cervical cancer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. My back pain has got worse since taking the trimethoprim, ive only taken 2 tablets so far, are they supposed to work instantly? They have also made me feel sick. My doctor didnt do an internal examination just external but still said she felt nothing
Would you say the burning is more internal or on the surface?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would say on the surface, its the lower burning back pain which has got worse since taking them, does that mean kidneys? Im also worried about ovarian cancer
Low back pain might mean kidneys, but it would usually be deeper pain and not on the surface. That would be true for ovarian cancer as well. Otherwise an ultrasound will be able to rule out ovarian cancer.
The tablets won't work instantly, but should help within about 24 hours.
Since it's a surface pain, I think your doctor would find the cause without an internal exam.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
To be honest i dont really know the difference between a surface or deep pain, i just know its got worse in 2 days, im very worried about ovarian cancer now
If your doctor had been at all suspicious of ovarian cancer, an internal exam and probably an ultrasound would have been done. So I think ovarian cancer is very unlikely. If you keep worrying about it, please ask your doctor for an ultrasound.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok sorry i just thought bloating was an ovarian cancer symptom? & i was a bit young to get it? She did say i had more chance winning the lottery then having it though
I agree with her.
Bloating can be a sign of ovarian cancer, but it's such a common symptom that when a young woman has bloating, it's almost always from something else (stress, hormones, intestinal problems, etc).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** i am just extremely worried, i felt fine last tuesday & now i have all this & im thinking the worst. I havent got bloating though.
Good.
Thank you for your payment and rating.