Dr. Lawrence
Dr. Lawrence, OB/GYN
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN and accomplished educator
62875722

I have an ovarian cyst which was found 5 months ago during

I have an ovarian cyst which was found 5 months ago during an internal examination. I had another internal scan on Monday and it has grown slightly 8cm the radiographer checked my kidneys with an ultrasound scan also.
My first CA125 was fine do not know most recent result as yet.
What can I expect next
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Lawrence replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Lawrence :

Hello, and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Lawrence :

Dr. Lawrence :

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

Dr. Lawrence :

Because you are postmenopausal and the cyst got bigger (even slightly), then it should be removed surgically.

Dr. Lawrence :

I recommend this regardless of the result of the most recent CA 125.

Dr. Lawrence :

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Customer:

thanks, ***** ***** waiting for gynaecologist to let me know, scary

Customer:

No one seems to tell you anything and its scary

Dr. Lawrence :

I completely understand. The waiting is very difficult.

Dr. Lawrence :

It is good that it didn't drastically change and the original ca 125 was normal. However, any cyst after menopause that gets that big should come out. It is best to be safe.

Customer:

will that be a large surgical operation or the same as I had when sterilised laparoscopy?

Dr. Lawrence :

They could potentially attempt it laparoscopically and send the ovary out for immediate evaluation by the pathologist to make sure it is not cancer. The only potential downside to the laparosocopic approach is that they want to make sure and remove the ovary intact and not rupture it while taking it out. It may be prudent to make a small incision instead and remove it that way.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help