Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Please could you advise on the following. I have a right

Customer Question

Please could you advise on the following.
I have a right sided bi-lobed inverted nipple this has more obvious since since menopause, mammograms (last taken Feb 2013) have been normal except for this. On and off for 3 years I have had a sensation best described as tingling in this breast with some feeling of fullness that comes and goes however since commencing on oestradiol in Sept 2013 for atrophic vaginitis (I use 500mcgs once weekly in the form of a cream) I had not experienced this sensation until last Sunday (I used the cream the previous night), the sensation has now gone
1. Do you think the use of the cream and the tingling are connected?
2. What would be the of this sensation?
2. Is this any cause for concern?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Since you've been using the oestradiol for a year and did not experience the tingling until Sunday, that would suggest that the oestradiol is not responsible. However, it's possible that it played a part.
Estrogen can stimulate breast tissue and cause breast and nipple discomfort, as you probably know from when you were having periods and got some breast discomfort related to your cycles or during pregnancy. The amount of estrogen that get in your blood stream and gets to your breasts is generally very small when using estrogen vaginal cream.
However, perhaps there was something else (stress, estrogen in food, weight gain which can elevate estrogen, etc.) that might either raise estrogen in your body or make your nipples more sensitive to estrogen. It may all have combined to cause the tingling sensation.
I don't think there is any cause for concern. Tingling and pain are usually caused by something other than cancer. However, since it's been over a year since your last mammogram, I would recommend that you see your doctor and have a mammogram, just to be safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your timely response, here in the UK we only get mammograms offered every 3 years, but I plan to see my family doctor in 2 weeks so will discuss this with her then. Again thank yiu for your reassurance

You're very welcome. That sounds like a good plan. It will be good to have a breast exam to check it out.
Thank you for your payment and rating.