Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Hello, is it possible to have pcos but with a completely normal

Customer Question

Hello, is it possible to have pcos but with a completely normal hormone profile?
I was diagnoses with pcos because of irregular and light periods, acne and a slightly raised testosterone level. However recently my hormone profile came back normal, yet my symptoms remain the same. I am currently at 40 days with still no period. I would just like to know if I have pcos, and if not, what else could be causing this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Yes, it is possible to have pcos with a normal hormone profile.
Pcos basically means not ovulating plus elevated testosterone. With irregular periods and now no period for 40 days, that is strongly suggestive that you don't ovulate much.
I think you do have pcos, and I would treat you as such. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Norm

Is this true even if my testosterone levels are apparently normal now?

Best wishes,

You just said you had a slightly raised testosterone level?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Originally yes, but now it's all normal apparently, including the testosterone. However, I continue to have the irregular periods.

Could there be something else that is causing this or is pcos the only possibility?

Pcos is the primary possibility. Perhaps there is no other reason that you're not ovulating (some women don't ovulate much), but most likely you have pcps.
Thank you for your payment.